• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

OMGoodness... Please help Octopus ESCAPE!

I posted this in my Isis thread but I really need help so I double posted here.

Ok so my daughter had a friend come over today. I was feeding Isis when they came up asking for lunch. I stopped for a few and stepped away. The lid was on but not latched I guess she pushed the lid up but however it happened Isis fell out of the tank! I found her on the carpet still moving about 5 feet from the tank. I picked her up and put her in a bucket of fresh salt water (was the closest water to me) which didnt go over well... this freaked her out and she inked EVERYWHERE! I drained that water and added water from the tank and more fresh salt water to the bucket. She is sheading mucus like crazy. I also have an aerator in the bucket too.

What can I do that I am not doing? What are the chances that she will survive this? The ceiling fan was on but she couldnt have been out of the water longer than 5 mins as I was making lunch and had just looked in on her. Help please.

I should also note that I retested the water to see whats going on that she would want to escape...

Ph is down to 8.0
Nitrates are at 40 (I dont know how they jumped in such a short time from 2 days ago.
Nitrites are 0
Ammonia 0

I did try feeding her a small crab and she took it. She took it and is eating it now.

Is the mucus something I should be worried about? It looks like snot at the bottom of the bucket.

Sounds like she'll be fine, ours escape quite frequently (although you want to get those nitrates down!). Some octopus just do escape! THe slime is to protect the skin while out of water. As for the ink, the great pantyhose net is excellent for getting rid of it! stretch pantyhoe nylon over a tank net and scoop the ink out then rinse down the sink.

Any way google "sid the octopus" to see the fun and games we have with ours!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back