OMG! Ossie gave birth

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Akyu, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Akyu

Akyu GPO Supporter

We've been very worried about Ossie the last few weeks. We had figured it was getting near the end of her life but we were trying really hard to get her to be responsive to us.

She had taken to being in her den 95% of the time, only sneaking out after we'd been asleep to get her food. And as far as we could tell, she had gone down to eating once every two-three nights.

This morning I woke up and went to feed the green chromis in Ossie's tank when I saw shapes moving about in the water. Turned on the light and I saw pinkish-purply teeny blobs in the water as well as clear ones.

"Ossie gave birth! Ossie gave birth!" I screamed to get W. out of bed.

We have about 30 baby octopus in our teeny tank. We're expecting this to be the first batch from what we've read here on the boards.

We're panicking (of course) and I'm not sure what we're going to do about it. (The insurance adjuster is supposed to take a look at our damaged condo and hopefully in a few weeks, we'll be able to set up our large tank but still.... we've such limited options right now.

So... ANY advice will be appreciated.

Also, any of you in the Bay Area, California wants to try rearing a couple of baby mercatoris, send me a pm over the next two or three days. Or try emailing me. We're watching the babies turn pink, then translucent right now. Please help us try and save some.

Sharon

2. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Congratulations! I don't know much about O. mercatoris: do the babies look like tiny but fully-formed adults or are they planktonic larvae?

Dan

3. Akyu

Akyu GPO Supporter

They are fully formed octopus with mantle, eight legs, two LARGE eyes and I think I can see their brain? Something milky colored inside the mantles. We can count about 10-15 of them but don't know if any are hiding in the rocks or whether another batch would release tonight.

They are SO cute! One keeps swimming in circles (somewhat jerkily but I guess that's due to their propulsion system). Others are exploring the glass where a bunch of copepods are hanging out. Still others are just swimming near the surface, bobbing happily away.

I turned down the airflow so they're not struggling to get about but there's still circulation. We need to be at work today so am hoping Ossie doesn't die while we're out. I know that we have to remove her body immediately since we don't have a filtration system on the tank.

I've also a question about water changes. Before, I was just using a gallon jug and filling it up by submerging it in the tank. However, this way, some of the babies might get sucked in. Any other suggestions on how to do water changes?

Again, I reiterate: Anyone in the Bay Area, California who wants to raise a baby O. Mercatoris, please contact me immediately by PM or email.

Thanks.

4. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

If i was any where near the west coast i could take a couple but im an East coaster
    sorry :(

5. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

If I had a tank ready I would be on my way down there to collect one or two from you, but as it is, I have nothing. :neutral:

I wish you the best of luck in rearing those babies!

Green with envy!
    Chris

6. DHyslop

Sounds fantastic! If I didn't have cuttles now I would take a few.

You might consider buying two or three net breeders that hang inside the tank rim. You could put a few babies in each and have direct supervision on them. The rest will probably disappear into the rockwork and you won't be sure how many, if any, survived.

Righty has some good tips about collecting small crustaceans for ceph food in the bay area, otherwise you could order mysids and 'pods from Sach's.

Dan

7. Domboski

Domboski O. vulgaris Supporter

I would love to see pics! I am also an east coaster. Wish I could help.

8. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Ill take a few to play with (Im in san francisco)...My baby cuttle section is free at the moment. When they get larger, my Friend has a large tank that would be available for them.

Ill need to octo proof the cuttle section first...

I would take DHyslop's advise on the breeder net idea. You will need to seal the tops though. Also, are you familiar with collecting pods in the area?

9. Akyu

Akyu GPO Supporter

Thanks Paradox! We are right off the 580 fwy so just a hop skip and jump from S.F. I'll IM you my details.

Any other takers?

10. cttlfish

cttlfish Blue Ring Registered

congradulations on the babies!

If I had more experiance with salt water (this would be my first tank...), I would take some, probably, but I'm too afraid that they would die almost immediatly.

11. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Does anyone know how old they are when they start getting cannible and intolerant of others in the same tank? Ive kept octos before, but never more then 1 at a time nor from a hatchling...

12. Akyu

Akyu GPO Supporter

thanks cttlefish...

As for the attempt - first off, Ossie is our first octo and trust us, we've made so many mistakes... but apparently this is a pretty hardy species.

Secondly, these babies are going to die almost guaranteed. We don't have the space to take care of them (they're in a 5.5 gallon tank right now which is why I'm trying like crazy to get them out of here) and we're hoping one survives for ourselves.

In the meantime, anyone who can take a couple of them will probably give them a better show of surviving than we can.

We're also going to try contacting the S.F. aquarium and the Monterey Bay Aquarium to see if they'd like any.

13. DHyslop

Perhaps using some hot-melt glue to secure the aluminum brackets to the outer plastic trim in such a way that it would keep the top of the net against the glass lid? I apologize for the tangent, its just an idea I had :)

Dan

14. Akyu

Akyu GPO Supporter

Hmm... or just cut the netting off to create a pocket that can float in the water... or just hot glue the opening to the glass after cutting the netting?

15. cttlfish

cttlfish Blue Ring Registered

whoops...the plan didn't fly too well with my parents.:neutral:
    oh well.

16. Akyu

Akyu GPO Supporter

so sorry to hear that, Cttlefish.

Right now, about 12 of them are spoken for. The rest will be going to Dr. Caldwell's lab unless some of you want them.

I've spoken to New Alameda Aquatics where Righty is associated with and they are willing to ship out to any of you for $50 overnight (this includes the box and everything).

I don't want to take care of the shipping so I'll be dropping off the babies to New Aquatics and letting them take care of it on Wed. July 5th.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Ossie's tale, this species is VERY nocturnal and secretive. Almost every time we've had interaction with Ossie is recorded here on Tonmo. If you're looking for a species to interact with you, this isn't the species for you. However, if you don't mind that (like we didn't - we feel our lives has totally been enriched by Ossie), please feel free to contact me either by email or by PM here. But look up Righty's offer of cuttlefish to find out the specifics about shipping.

17. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Glad to hear that you found homes for all the hatchlings! Dr. Caldwell's lab is a good place for those that haven't found homes with TONMO.com members.

Akyu, thank you for doing so well in documenting Ossie's life with you and for the videos of her. You've done very well keeping Ossie under difficult circumstances (very small tank).

Do continue feeding Ossie - she might be around for a while longer.

Nancy

18. Akyu

Akyu GPO Supporter

Thanks Nancy, and thank YOU for all your support. You've been absolutely great.

Ossie's been pretty active within her den today. She's been flicking her tentacles out and I'm really hoping that she's also eyeing that $7 shrimp we had bought her a week ago. She had eaten the red crab we had also gotten, but that was about two days ago.

Right now, W. has fished out about 13 of the babies out of the tank. about 3-5 more are hovering above the sand, making it difficult for us to get them. We've separated them into their own little containers (plastic cups), given each of them a shell of their own to be their dens and hopefully, will be able to get our hands on some tigger pods or other pods tonight for their dining pleasure.

From everything we've read, we're expecting another two-three population explosions over the next three days.

W. is now declaring that she's managed to catch all the babies - about 10 in total. Hmm, some seem to have been lost since this morning.

Will update later.

19. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Wow,

Thanks to the both of you for being such great "Octomoms". I'm sure the babies that survive will have a great life.

20. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:smile:

I cant wait to get back in town next week! I have a bunch of space right now if you need it to house babies.