Ollie - New O. briareus

So far, I don't think we have come up with a knowledgable formula for how to feed an octopus. The amount of food seems to vary widely from octopus to octopus (even within the same species). Both my briareus (together) do not eat as much as Legs. My first male hummelincki ate twice what any of the others wanted, Puddles (dwarf sized macropus) only wants food every other day but Sleazy (merc) is usually hungry 6 days a week. Roy had a very long lived bimac that was fed sparingly (more food every couple of days) and he notes that feeding this way may have been the reason it lived for almost 3 years.

Good argument to continue feeding sparingly w/ 1 fasting day a week. Wow, 3 years, is that a record?
I am trying to take it one day at a time, really enjoying him today and trying not to think about the future. It's like watching a movie and you already know the hero dies in the end but you keep hoping it ends differently. : )

Interesting way to think about it.

I keep wondering about the color of that leather and Ollie's unusual display of the dark mantle. Is it as pink as it looks in the photos? I don't think there is anything wrong but it is curious to try to figure out. When he goes into his den does he retain the color or change to white?

Ollie is amost always white whne he is in his den. Even when he is out and retreats back to his den his arms turn white, mantel sometimes stays dark or will get lighter, usually not as white as his arms. I don't remember seeing the pink/red coloration, although my red light is on at night so it is very difficult to say, I might be misjudging, assuming it is the light. The coral in question is not really pink, it is a finger leather, more brown than pink, it sure did photograh pink though. I just snapped a couple photos 1st one is Ollie right now in his den. 2nd is a FTS, the "pink" coral is on the lower right side.

Notice dark around the eye.
CIMG7215.jpg

Taken w/o flash, that coral is not very pink
CIMG7219.jpg

Ollie grabbed my hand while I was cleaning his tank yesterday, held on for almost a 1/2 hour. I have never been able to make much contact at other times. Tonight he was out roaming. I put my hand on the glass and he came right up to me, he followed my hand from the side glass to the front glass. My husband walked in and turned the light on which sent him to the back. :roll: I waited a little while and went back (first, sent husband to bed lol) I got on my step ladder and put my hand in the tank and slowly moved it closer. Ollie reached for my hand with one arm, very gently touched my hand. He explored my fingers a little, he seemed hesitant at first then 2 more arms grabbed my hand and really attached then the pulling started, he pulled and tugged, I watched as his body came off the back wall but he held on with his remaining arms. I know this is normal for them at first, correct? This continued for maybe 15 minutes, pulling then relaxing etc. I was thrilled and nervious at the same time :heee: I defrosted a shrimp and gave it to him. He grabbed it in a very unusual way. His body was in his den and his arms came from under the rocks from every different direction, it was really odd, man he is really big. (Not as big as Captfish's Leggs but pretty big) He definately has grown since I got him. I am going to continue to work with him, while he lets me and seem interested. I am looking for his signal because now I know who is in charge :lol:

It isn't that he has a ready made signal but you can develop one with him by picking some action that is natural (I have used things like going down to the substrate, taking all arms off the glass - I laughed until I cried when Beldar understood this and because she repeated calling me and sending me away over and over for two hours - going into the LR vs the glass, going through the tubes to the other half of the tank or going to the back wall) and train yourself :wink: to take your hand out of the tank EVERY time he does this (cleaning days don't count and they learn this too). It does not take long for most of them to get the idea once they show an interest in interacting.

Be aware though that they seem to have an unusual learning/memory pattern. They will interact and seem to really understand what you have been working on and then the next day and for several days after that will not want anything to do with you (but keep offering to "play" each day) and then from out of nowhere they remember and interact again, usually not forgetting the new agreement (but will still sometimes refuse to play). I saw a special not to long ago where one of the researcher (her name is either Jean/Joan Bole/Beal, I can never remember and it takes forever to find :oops:) who spent a lot of time working with octos mentioned what a joy it was to work with cuttlefishes because the cuttles would be much more consistent and not have to decide to cooperate. I am thinking there is more to it than that and this lag is significant in the way that they learn.

yup! my neighbor used to joke and say i was over here battling my Octopus. Legs was down right determind to pull me into the tank. eventually it will be less pulling of the hand and more just holding it.

Octopus wrestling?? I love that, I imagine with Leggs, that is the way it seemed. I can only hope that Ollie understands quickly that no matter how hard he pulls, he aint pulling me in. I wonder how long Ollie's got left, I keep watching his coloring, hoping not to see the dreaded grey my last one showed before he died. Can't think about it. We have to enjoy them today, right? Your Leggs was special, must be so rewarding to have found him yourself. I think a lot of folks are a little jealous. Living in Florida does have perks.

Last night Ollie made his appearnce late, after midnight. I decided I'd just feed him and forgo any playing. This time however he did something different. Initally when it entered the tank, he retreated to his den very briefly, reemerged, then instead of grabbing the shrimp with an arm, he engulfed it with his body, and didn't retreat with it as usual. He sat there out in the open and enjoyed his meal. He had the feeding stick as well so I just stayed and let him eat. After a few moments, one arm slowly crept up the feeding stick to my hand and he ever so gently began moving it over my fingers. I could feel him explore under my fingernails with a touch as soft as a whisper. It took him about 10 minutes to finish eating then he let go. He went to the side glass and I decided to try and play seeing he was in a receptive mood. (this is the first time he stayed out after eating) I put my hand in and swam to the back of the tank under the korolia and up over it right back to my hand. A little touch then back under the korolia and back to my hand. He continued this over and over in a playful way. (well it seem that way to me) After about 15 minutes of this he went to the back wall. I am taking this as a signal he has had enough.

I see the back and forth thing in all the octos that decide to interact. It is almost as if they are tring to make up their minds if they want to play or not. Once you start seeing though, it usually means the want to make contact. I tried to capture this in a video of Octane (fast forward to about the halfway mark or you will fall asleep before he comes up to my finger).

I watched that one and a couple others, love escape from aquarium. Ollie is much faster with the back and forth. I was kind of nervous to wiggle my fingers too much, thought I'd scare him. I am hoping to see him tonight. My husband just started on the night shift, YES! You see, he is always bugging me come to bed, come to bed, he hates that I stay up so late, he poops on my octopus partys all the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back