Ollie - New O. briareus

I am not sure if you are talking about the octopus getting the lid off the jar to get a crab thing but if you are heres what i did.

I did my science fair last year on how intelligenced octos are. I did the jar thing and got it all on video i will try and post one of my vids. What i did was i poked a tiny hole in the top so he could reach in and feel the crab and get it. That made him want to stay right after the crab and keep up. I tested it ten times. The first time i tested it took about 1 hour and 15 mins to get the lid off and get the crab. Then on the 10th day i it took him under 5 mins to get it off. I did my whole project on power point. I am happy to say i got an A on it!:smile:

Just try to upload it. it didnt work. I would also say just keep trying and they will figure it out they are smart!:biggrin2:

I just don't understand what is wrong with him, he can see the crab in the jar but seems uninterested. I have made it so easy for him. I have the jar open and tipped, I placed it an inch from his favorite hangout spot. Here is a photo of him sitting next to the jar that contains as wiggly little fiddler. If it is a case of sight problems, he does move around quite a bit so he is able to view it from several angles and the crab is moving around, I'd think that would attract him as well.
I am not loosing patients as I know some things just take time. I didn't feed him last night, hoping hunger will give him courage to go after it. :wink:

CIMG6996.jpg

Try placing it farther away. I have come to believe that briareus is VERY far sighted. SueNami would see my son coming down the stairs but not food in the tank. Briareus seems to be the extreme in touch hunting. Also, Neal suggested but we never really experimented with, the idea that their chemical receptors may get confused when we feed the tank and then try to feed a single shrimp. I have noticed with creepy that if I rub the shrimp on the LR, she will often come looking so I think vibration in the LR is something they detect, more the "smell". This seems to be unique briareus and maybe even to locale of catch.

This afternoon I was cleaning my tank. Ollie always get curious when I am in the tank, he usually just peeks out at me. He suprised me by comming all the way out, maybe he thought I had food. I tried to keep my eye on him but hard with the depth of my tank. He came from behind the rockwork and grabbed my hand. I am really proud of myself, I didn't jump or pull my hand out because He really scared the heck out of me, it was so unexpected. He flintched a little but didn't let go right away, I was so honored. I hope I tasted good. He let go and I felt bad so I defrosted a chunk of shrimp and since he was still out watching me, I tried to feed him by hand. I didn't know what to expect. He snatched it quickly breifly touching my hand. It was great. :cool2:
I just reordered fiddlers tonight, supply getting low. I wish could get a good video of him, will keep trying.

Tripod and remote firing!

Keepers disagree on the meaing of octo interaction during tank cleaning and so far no one has gotten a clear reponse from the octos :biggrin2:. but what you just experienced is typical (and often the first big thrill of keeping them).

My own take is that they are guarding their possessions and the touch is a warning to you to that you are in THEIR domain and are only allowed because they permit it. It is rare that they are aggressive (Nancy's husband was bitten once but only once) during this time but they almost always interact once they are no longer really afraid of you. I find the interaction different from stand alone play though and is why I think it is protective (many others think of it playful behavior). One keeper had to cage his hummelincki in a Critter Keeper whenever he cleaned the tank because the octopus kept interferring with the effort. Whatever the intent, it is always fun and is a positive sign that the octopus has accepted its environment.

Good job on not jumping, I don't always manage it when one of mine sneaks up on me.

Big mix up with my crab order, but I finally got them. I am stil trying to figure it out. 3 day in transit, I lost 5, not too bad considering. I have to say PU, I was gagging as I removed the live crabs from the bag, YUCK. I put them in a small bucket and rinsed then with tank water a few times to de-stink them. I ordered 40 this time, they won't all fit in my 2 1/2 g. I am out to find aother container I can kitten-proof. He has already almost tipped the bucket 2X. I just may loose my mind. I am thinking of getting a critter keeper for the extra because I am not puttig a larger aquarium on my counter top. This is going to be a long day.

If worse comes to worst, throw a little sand and water in an old salt bucket. You can put that most anywhere it does not get too cold (or warm) and refill your kitchen one as they are depleated. We brought back over a hundred one time and I put most of them in a big plastic sweater box (50 gallon size) Unfortunately, keeping the smell down was more work than using smaller buckets and just rinsing the sand once a week.

My plan is to get a larger tank. My brother is breaking down one this comming week so I won't have to buy one. I have never had any odor from the little tank with sand and rock. The bucket I have 1/2 of the crabs in now....woo hoo, it stinks bad. Must be some the sand, bacteria must break down the waste, the difference is amazing. I only have appx. 20 in my little bucket, yours must have smelled much worse. Oh and I lost a few more today. I guess he 3 days in the bag of nasty water was a bit too much for the little fellows. They have huge appetites though, I just keep feeding them small quanities, they need them to stay healthy right?
My daughter is driving me crazy, she want to play with them. I told her, we don't play with food. :wink:

I've kept fiddlers two ways - you can keep up to about 20 in a turtle bown (a wide bowl, not very high), with water and some rocks. I used brackish water (half salt water, half RO/DI water.) Or, you can make a habitat for them with damp sand, pebbles, and a little pool, in something like a plastic sweater box. I kept some for a long time that way- one lived two years. They ate flakes, lettuce and occasionally fruit.

The second way requires little maintenance (changing the pool water and cleaning up food waste), but the crabs will bury in damp sand so are harder to find.

Nancy

I am not puttig a larger aquarium on my counter top
My plan is to get a larger tank.
:lol:

My daughter is driving me crazy, she want to play with them. I told her, we don't play with food.
That is better than Neal's approach, he talks to the ones he pick up to feed,
OK, which of you wants to be the unlucky one today?
I ask him NOT to do that but he forgets my discomfort a lot.

Ohhh do I know about the smell....not sure what happened but it was not because of any deaths. I have only lost one.Also I have mine in freshwater dampened white sand. Maybe I should add some saltwater with the next change?

D,
Perhaps I should clearify.
My husband didn't want me to buy a container since we have 10g. aquarium sitting unused. Now there is no way I am keeping that thing on my countertop. I should have mentioned this. a 5g. would fit nicely. So yes I did contradict myself, thanks for pointing that out :oops:

I was actually laughing at the signs of MTS (Multi-Tank Syndrome) that we seem to want to deny. I don't count the inactive tanks or the experimentals or the food tanks when I say I keep 8 marine tanks (I finally lost the last critter in my one remiaing 35 gallon fresh tank last month and have not cleaned and stored that tank yet).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back