Ollie - New O. briareus

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Lmecher, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Lmecher

Lmecher Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

My new O. briareus from Tomscaribbean just arrived. I counted 7 arms, 2 of which seem to be missing the tips otherwise seems in good shape. Mantle is appx. 1 1/2 inches. Wow this guy is much larger than my last one. I have it floating in the tank to temp acclimate. I need to do a few tests on the water it came in now, looks pretty clean. I will post photos when I can get to it. So far so good :smile:

2. Lmecher

PH is so low, it is off the scale, well below 7.8. I hope this isn't going to cause any major problems, is this common? Anyone ever had a similar situation? Is there anything special I should be doing here?

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

You will very often see 6-6.4 PH in shipping water, especially when it is cool/cold. The guys in FL don't need to buffer their water and that is about the only thing that would prevent the sever shipping drop. On the other hand, shipping when the weather is cool is far better on the animals than when it is hot and what you are seeing is normal and why it takes so long to acclimate them.

Good size on the octo, Tom did good :smile:. After I talked to him and mentioned the website, he did join and add us as a link for more information so hopefully he will check in on us occassionally.

One of the interesting things about missing arms is to watch them grow back. I have guestimated about an inch a month but it would be nice if others would try to estimate new growth to see if this is a good general guess. I watched a video on a GPO in an aquarium last night and the aquarium guide mentioned that the GPO had difficulty regenerating its arms in captivity. I had never heard this before and wonder if it is really the case or if they expect faster regeneration in the wild than what we see in an aquarium (or if the GPO is more sensative to a captive environment).

Anxiously awaiting pictures :wink:

4. Lmecher

Sorry, I am feeling kind of stupid here what is GPO?

5. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

giant pacific octopus. I had to ask that same question.

6. Lmecher

Ooooh, got ya.

I have pictures...

Immediately after opening bag~
    [​IMG]

Floating in tank~
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Looks like a male to me, from the the last picture. I see the enlarged suckers.

8. DWhatley

Just as a fun asside. Look closely at the next to last photo and note the dark area almost to the back of the mantle. Then go to the first shot and note the same dark area on the other side. These are the locations of the two gill hearts. They are often visible in the more translucent animals (quite clear in the mercs most of the time) but often not visible in the ones that don't show the white coloration much (like hummelincki).

If he is still in the bag, you might put a ruler in the photo.

9. Lmecher

I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out. I have maybe another 1/2 hour until release.

10. DWhatley

Don't be surprised if it does not want out of the bag. If you have a critter keeper or even a jar, I would suggest trying to encourage it into that while in the acclimation bucket (usually pretty easy, especially if you have something opaque). Bags are very difficult with pressure on the outside and my attempt to use one with SueNami was very stressful to both of us. For whatever reason, the briareus does not seem to come out of whatever it is in when you introduce it for quite some time (based on others in addition to my own). If you can face the opening toward the LR, it seems to help a little.

11. Lmecher

That is exactly what I did and now 2 hour later this is what I have...

[​IMG]

He won't leave his container. Maybe he feels secure I don't know. I will just let him come out in his own good time. I have a chance to get a good look at him. I can see he had a leg severed at the webbing. It has begun to regrow, it is about 3/4 of an inch long.

12. DWhatley

I am not sure what it is about this species but not leaving the introduction bucket seems to be a standard trait. It may take several hours or it may be they wait until it is dark to move. Oddly, it only seems to be the briareus that act this way.

New growth always look strange. The first time I saw it I thought it was dead material remaining from the incident and wondered if I should remove it so that the amputation was complete. Fortunately, I got a better look at the "string" and saw the tiny suckers.

13. Lmecher

He finally came out of the container.
    Here he is at around 6:00

[​IMG]

and now

[​IMG]

He is hanging onto the front glass and the plastic cintainer. I was hoping to see him stretch out as he slipped behind the roclkwork like a normal octopus. I can give him all the time he needs. :smile:

14. DWhatley

I think 6:00 Eastern STANDARD time must be about the time they go hunting in the wild as that is about the time SueNami and now KaySoh came/ come out from their dens.

It appears this behavior is normal for briareus. Unfortunately, once he goes into the rock it might be a month or more before you see him other than an eye or an arm fetching food.

15. Lmecher

This morning there was no trace of the octopus. I was sure I would not see him for some time so I didn't really look too hard for him. I was able to remove the plastic container finally. An hour after lights on, while emptying the skimmer, I found him peeking out from behind the rockwork. He didn't like the flash :shock: but I can still see an arm poking through a hole in the rock. I will let him be so he settles in nicely.
    Time to work on a name. Here we go again, we just got 2 new kittens, Maverick and Peanut. I hate having to come up with a name, I find naming an octopus difficult, will work on it and come up with a fitting one soon :grin:

[​IMG]

16. DWhatley

Sedna always comes up with interesting names and has started making it a challenge for me to have to look up the reference :wink: We take turns naming animals unless a name presents itself serendipitiously. Creepy was the request for a name by my supplier because it was Halloween and she/he was missing almost all of 7 of its 8 arms. Octane had a name before he came and gave Will fits :wink:

KaySoh remains camera shy even though I don't use a flash. She knows when I have the camera out and will retreat where she will remain out if I approach the tank without it. Dale (GoneToBaha) has mentioned that the green lazers they tried on the squid camera may have chased away squid. My camera has a green focus light that helps (a lot) pinpoint the focus center and it may be that she sees it.

This little guy looks nice and healthy but I usually hold my breath for about two weeks. The briareus seem to do better than most and either die within a day or survive until senescence. I think a lot has to do with the fact that they are directly from the point of origin and are only shipped and contained once before finding a home.

17. Lmecher

It is kind of funny where this one chose for a den. He thinks he is hidden when in fact I can see most of it's mantle sticking through an openeing in the rocks. :lol: Good hiding spot little guy.

[​IMG]

Morpheus was with me just over 2 weeks, I am holding my breath a little longer.

18. DWhatley

One advantage of briareus over others we see is that size does matter as far as aging goes. It may be because most are caught in the same are with the same food supply but Mucktopus has mentioned seeing various sizes of aculeatus that appeared to be similar in age in Indonesia. That being said, you do have to take more than mantle length into consideration as I think Creepy may be older than she/he looks based upon the thickness of the one arm that had not been removed.

19. Lmecher

We saw our octopus last night. was up near the surface. I tried to feed it but it retreated back into the rockwork. It was rediculous, a peppermint shrimp and serpent star attached themselves to my feeding stick, the star is really strong, we played tug o war with the shrimp. The octopus didn't want anything to do with the shrimp I offered. I don't feel good about this, I feel like I am living a rerun. Morpheus wound not take food either. I don't see any signs of him eating. (body parts) I have 2 fiddlers, 3 emeralds and 7 peppermint shrimp in the tank so he has plenty to choose from. How long can they go without food?

20. DWhatley

I have seen studies that experimented with them in the lab and to try to determine if the females actually starved or if something else goes on during brooding and the answer was weeks.

We have two Red brittles (Pesky and PeskyToo) that are always very active when there is an octo in residence (we don't see them otherwise) and they go after the shrimp daily. I have started touching the one that tries to get KaySoh's food just to see if it will learn to let me :roll:

When you have the next opportunity try to touch the shrimp to the suckers at least half way down the arm. It seems that the closer to the mouth, the more sensative the suckers are. Remember that shrimp on a stick does not look like anything they eat so tasting it is important until they learn a kabob is food. It is odd that the fiddlers have not been consumed yet though. Do you see him searching the LR? He may be eating little things like copepods but should be very ready for a real meal.

You might try holding the shrimp and slowly wiggling it on the back wall. Just don't jump when an arm grabs you as that could impact feeding (touching the back of the arm with a spare finger usually get you released - in the beginning anyway). I have started hand feeding KaySoh since she has been slow to want to interact. She is coming out more and more each week but is still very timid with much movement. At the moment she is more interested in trying to sample my fingers (which taste like the shrimp I am trying to give her - I have not had to do this with hummelincki) than the shrimp, even when she touches the shrimp that she has been accustomed to eating.

We are only feeding Creepy every other day. His/her appetite is better but still not as strong as it should be so we are experimenting. The prior arm damage was extensive and it is really surprising he/she has survived to grow back 7 arms to the six or so inches they are now (with continuing new growth). The one arm that was not removed at the webbing is thicker and longer than any of KaySoh's arms but the mantle is about 2/3 the size. With most briareus, size of mantle and age are usually nicely tied but I suspect Creepy is older and has lived on a much leaner diet that most.