Old-New Mesonychoteuthis Specimen?

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Click here and you'll see some very interesting photos recently taken of a live Mesonychoteuthis. We're not sure if this specimen was saved/retained; it doesn't appear so.

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Steve O'Shea;87876 said:
Click here and you'll see some very interesting photos recently taken of a live Mesonychoteuthis. We're not sure if this specimen was saved/retained; it doesn't appear so.
...Steve, those shots are spectacular. So's your sense for understatement. Holy Crap!Now I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that in the third pic I can see an eye and the siphon. Zoom in!

Wow.:notworth:

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought, but perhaps some kind volunteer would like to try to contact the poster of those images to try and obtain some larger versions for us?

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Attached are three much larger versions of the photos referenced above. THIS IS NOT THE 450KG MESONYCHOTEUTHIS making headlines, it's another, likely smaller animal that may not have been preserved. The photographs are dated 8 January 2007, and were received via private correspondence. The sender received them from the captain of a longliner shortly after the encounter with the squid.

They brought this beast up along the Ross ice shelf (S.Georgia Islands) fishing for the Patagonian Tooth Fish (AKA Chilean Seabass). He says it is not the first time he has caught one, just the first time he was able to get some pics of it. He said the mantle alone was 12- 14 ft long.
This much of the story has been online for over a month now, having first posted on 18 January, but the site requires registration to view the pics. I'd really like to acknowledge the correspondents involved, but they're Anonymous for now. They've probably been getting a lot of mail in the last 48 hours, too. Hopefully the story will be told by the players soon, but for now: :notworth:

...and THIS IS NOT THE 450KG MESONYCHOTEUTHIS!

Clem

Attachments

Reaction score
By the Power of Grayskull!

This is incredible stuff! Amazing work Clem!

It looks like they are trying to get it aboard, yet do I understand correctly that nothing was saved from this Colossal?

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
So that's why the proportions of the head appear so different in both specimens, good call, Adam!

Interesting to see it appears to be not wishing to let go of the toothfish, rather than being hooked itself...

Clem

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Ob,

That weird beak photo from the Russian site you mentioned...is it the one attached below? I've attached a pic of the 2003 Ross Sea specimen's beak (with Steve's hands on it) for comparison. You're right, the mystery beak appears to be larger. So, which specimen did it belong to, one we know about or one that's been under the radar?

Cheers,
Clem

Attachments

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
That is indeed the one we discussed over a nondescript Irish ale during the Boston nanocon :wink:

Two options: the one with the thumb ring is Kat's hand, certainly more dainty than that of Steve "Ahab" O' Shae's, or we ARE looking at a separate, potentially larger specimen! The shadow cast on the index finger shows the size difference not to be an artefact of perspective, I dare the owner of said finger to repeat this experiment in vivo :shock:

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bee_bee

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak