Old Chat [locked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tintenfisch said:
Hmm, I can't get in. This doesn't bode well for tomorrow. :hmm:

It seems to work for me, still, but no one else is on... what's the failure?

I get a blank grey screen for about 20 seconds (although the status bar says 'Applet initialized' if you mouse over), then a black screen that says in red: Connection to [...] failed! MELANGE debug: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Operation Timed Out

... and that's it. :hmm:

Tintenfisch said:
I get a blank grey screen for about 20 seconds (although the status bar says 'Applet initialized' if you mouse over), then a black screen that says in red: Connection to [...] failed! MELANGE debug: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Operation Timed Out

... and that's it. :hmm:

Are you behind a firewall? When I spy on my chat session, it tries to get to the same host for the chat that it goes to for normal TONMO stuff:

65.98.87.107:www is the web connection
65.98.87.107:6666 is the chat

so, it'd be weird to get a "no route to host" for chat but not posting to tonmo. So, my guess is that something like a firewall is blocking port 6666 between you and tonmo.com, but it's also possible something's funny with your java setup, I guess.

you might try "telnet www.tonmo.com 6666" to see if that works (I forget if recent windows versions include a telnet client-- some browsers let you enter "telnet://www.tonmo.com:6666" but mine doesn't seem to let me.

Anyway, if it works, it'll look something like this:
telnet tonmo.com 6666
Trying 65.98.87.107...
Connected to tonmo.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
+++Online
>> Melange Chat Server (Version 1.10), Apr-25-1999

Welcome ! (Type /HELP for a list of commands)

and you can just type /quit to get out.

If you get "no route to host" with telnet, it's probably a firewall type issue; if you get to the chat server message, it's probably a problem with the java client.

It looks like if the telnet works, you can actually use that to access the chat, although it's probably a bit klunky compared to the java client...

(since I don't know what OS you use, the telnet stuff is a bit vague... I think it should be available on mac or windows from the "console"-- use start->run cmd or start MS-DOS prompt on windows or start a terminal on MacOS to get to where you can type "telnet tonmo.com 6666")

hope this helps...

Thanks for the advice, Monty. Good plan... guess it must be a firewall issue though. It does say 'Connecting to www.tonmo.com... ' and then the window shuts itself down. I guess it's not too surprising; I doubt the university would be encouraging the use of chat programs on its machines. Even if it's vaguely on-topic for my thesis! :roll: It used to work, though... wonder what's changed.

chat ahoy?

I think it's 9pm ET (or one minute shy...) chat works for me, but I couldn't help Kat get connected...

newb and I seem to be online (but I'm not sure who that is...)

talk to y'all soon?

-M

monty said:
I think it's 9pm ET (or one minute shy...) chat works for me, but I couldn't help Kat get connected...

newb and I seem to be online (but I'm not sure who that is...)

talk to y'all soon?

Unfortunately still a no go on my end (and i believe for Lady TTF too)
All because of a %$%@#$ firewall

*grabs bucket of water*

TPOTH

Yeah, with a little help from Monty I'm trying to figure out a way to get in - I'll let you know if we have any luck!

:hmm:

Dangit...wish you were there!!!! Is it still popping up errors?

Yes. The firewall never gave me any trouble with the old chat, but there's something about this one it doesn't like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back