[Old Board Archive] General Octopus Sighting (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #70 Posted at Wed Nov 6 18:17:40 2002 216.184.13.28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also really enjoyed Galaxy Quest - I like those toungue in cheek humor kind of things.

Have you seen the movie trekkies? It is a documentary focused on Star Trek fans - incredibly entertaining.
--Lithographette

Reply #71 Posted at Wed Nov 6 19:21:31 2002 64.171.78.110
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would just hope that the Dux bed didn't reek of ammonia while you were trying to sleep. Phil, I have to say I laughed very hard at your "thelemanite" caption! In other general sightings, in Rudy Rucker's (I believe) latest book "Spaceland" we find some very positively portrayed cephalopods; fouth dimensional hyper-cuttlefish that happen to be quite a bit more canny than humans
-- Sedusa

Reply #72 Posted at Wed Nov 6 19:43:20 2002 64.158.112.168
Howdy All
My latest octo-obs. this week (?Monday), a B Monster flick on the AMC channel called 'TENTACLE' what else, featuring a giant and I mean gaint octo-fiend probably called bigteuthis in the latin. Must have been made in the seventies shortly after Jaws I guess from the quality and general gist of the production (two guys on boat out at sea being attacked by ETF -eight-tentacled fiend). Sound dubbed on later and not quite in synch with the action... you get the idea. But who cares the octopus was about the size of New York, ok maybe a little smaller but sadly I only caught the end and they never showed the whole animal. But they killed it by using two Orcas to tear it appart and it was clearly bigger than both of them. The men explained to the whales that they really wanted to be friends with the ETF but that it just wasn't possible, the whales declined comment and swam off but then the octopus attacks the boat, sadly budget didn't allow the use of tentacles so the ETF just bumped the bottom of the boat without really achieving much, but at that moment the whales return and save the day (from a non-seph perspective). The whales made this strage Godzilla like screetching as they attacked, or on second thoughts maybe that was the ETF.

All in all a stunning production and one not to be missed, but you may need liquid refreshment to fully appreciate the deeper nuances of the subtext...

PS: anyone fill me in on the whole story? Where did the octo originate? Aliens, mad scientists work bench, ancient creature disturbed from sea bed by nuclear test, where? I think we should be told...
-- Geoff

Re: Re: Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #73 Posted at Wed Nov 6 21:20:28 2002 210.54.68.102

Sorry, Kat, he's mine.

To the death, to the death!!! Meet me on Groaners, thou dastardly villainess, and draw thy vorpal blade!
-- Tintenfisch

Reply #74 Posted at Thu Nov 7 01:15:54 2002 213.122.21.160
Another general octopus sighting for you. I don't think this has been mentioned before so I apologise if it has. An Architeuthis featured in the original novel of 'Dr No'. The evil doctor kept one in a pen outside his villainous volcano lair. Bond had to confront it as he escaped from the island. I can't remember exactly how he got away as it has been years since I read it, but I'm sure someone on this site will elucidate. Given the state of special effects back in the mid sixties, it is probably just as well they did not try to depict it in the film version! (It would have destroyed the realism of the gritty plot).

Geoff; 'Tentacles' sounds superb. One of those movies that is so bad you can't take your eyes of it. Ever seen 'Blood Beach'?

Sedusa; Tani has all the credit for Thelemanite. I thought that was very funny. I'm sure Mr Crowley would have invoked a huge squid if he had been capable!
-- Phil

Reply #75 Posted at Fri Nov 8 03:48:03 2002 65.58.150.219
A octopus in Dr No would have been awesome!

Just watched Galaxy Quest (very funny spoof on TV Sci Fi if you havent seen it) but I was pleased to note that the true form of the alien good guys is squid-u-like, two longer tentacles with flattened ends (sorry I don't know the technical term for these) and a number of normal tentacles.

PS. If an octopus is depicted on film is it an actorpus? Sorry! Don't throw things...
-- Geoff

Reply #76 Posted at Mon Nov 11 18:08:25 2002 216.184.13.28
Once again the Ripley's Believe It or Not sunday comic features an octopus. Even though Octi are being mentioned, it does seem that the folks at Ripleys cast them in a negative light - last week it was as a yucky ice cream flavor, this week as a deadly pet
you can see this weeks at the site below
http://www.comics.com/comics/ripleys/archive/ripleys-20021110.html
-- Lithographette

Re: Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #77 Posted at Wed Nov 13 06:37:07 2002 152.163.188.36

Even though Octi are being mentioned, it does seem that the folks at Ripleys cast them in a negative light - last week it was as a yucky ice cream flavor, this week as a deadly pet

Egad, more libel! Litho, you tie 'em up and I'll throw 'em into that Dosidicus-filled Jacuzzi!

What makes it even sillier is that there's nothing in the illustration to indicate the octo's size, so for all the hapless reader knows the Blue Ring could be bigger than a Volkswagen.

The most extreme (and funny) example of this journalistic genre was in a grocery-checkout tabloid I picked up several years ago. The front page headline was something like, "Telescope Shows Deep-Space Monster Headed Directly For Earth!" When you turned to the "full story" inside, there was this huge blow-up of a Chambered Nautilus next to a tiny satellite photo of our planet, with the caption, "This is what scientists believe the monster looks like." I must've laughed for fifteen minutes straight!

Wish I still had that article so I could scan it for the board -- what a classic!
-- TaningiaDanae

Re: Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #78 Posted at Wed Nov 13 08:05:31 2002 152.163.188.36

Geoff; 'Tentacles' sounds superb. One of those movies that is so bad you can't take your eyes of it. Ever seen 'Blood Beach'?

Ooo! Ooo! Was that the one with the giant slug that looked like a cross between an electric mixer and a turnip on steroids, tunneling through the sand and pulling down sunbathers for a snack? That was a hoot! I am a Golden Turkey fan too (do you know about the Ed Wood film with Bela Lugosi and the rubber octopus?).

Sedusa; Tani has all the credit for Thelemanite. I thought that was very funny. I'm sure Mr Crowley would have invoked a huge squid if he had been capable!

Awww, I am touched! (At least, that's what everyone tells me....)

BTW, very few people know it, but Mr. Crowley actually was a huge squid. His posthumous work LIBER AL VEL LOLIGO was discovered earlier this year, and is currently being translated into Frisian, Tagalog, and Basque by five thousand cuttlefish typing randomly on five thousand keyboards non-stop for fifteen months.

Recently discovered papers also indicate that just before his death, the notorious Magus had been trying to breed a type of Nautilus with exactly 93 tentacles, and to teach his pet Blue Ring to form the number "666" with its arms.

Stay tuned to Radio Free Tani for more exciting, up-to-the-minute ersatz news, when and if I feel like it!
-- TaningiaDanae

Reply #79 Posted at Wed Nov 13 08:33:02 2002 213.122.152.240
Yep Tani, that was Blood Beach alright. I remember the most terrifying aspect of the film was not the monster but the size of the main actors nose. I'm afraid I can't remember his name but I just recall this enormous nose menacing women on the beach. Horrible. They should have blown that up at the end of the film instead of the monster.

Thanks for the info on Aleister Crowley. I had absolutely no idea he was a cephalopod. It certainly would explain why the Abbey in Sicily was divided into chambers though I'm not sure if they were gas filled or not. For what it's worth, and this is true, I visited the site of the London Temple of the Golden Dawn society in London out of curiosity a couple of years ago as I happened to be in the area and it had been turned into 'George's Burger Bar'. Obviously I had a cheeseburger there out of duty and found it didn't taste the least bit sinister. Most disappointing.

I'm sure if Crowley was a squid he would have attempted to invoke Cthulhu.

Help. I'm starting to ramble.
-- Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back