[Old Board Archive] General Octopus Sighting (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #50 Posted at Wed Oct 9 00:39:44 2002 68.81.32.182
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was perusing the Thomas the Tank Engine trainset catalog and was delighted to see two new aquarium cars -- one with a shark, and the other with an octopus. See it on eBay:

Aquarium Cars

-- tonmo

Reply #51 Posted at Thu Oct 10 23:35:44 2002
Last Modified at Thu Oct 10 23:36:20 2002 by Sedusa 64.171.78.110
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I thought these were cool:
http://www.realcooltoys.com/squircut.html
... they're sold out at the moment tho!
-- Sedusa

Reply #52 Posted at Thu Oct 10 23:48:17 2002 64.171.78.110
Another cool one!
http://www.fishknowledge.com/wallcht.asp?File=KK
I like this wallchart better than the mollusks poster that is so common, because it's exclusively cephs
-- Sedusa

Reply #53 Posted at Mon Oct 28 18:09:26 2002 216.184.13.28
I bought a three dimensional black-light reactive demon face for a Halloween party I am having this weekend. Inside the face (on the back) was a little blurb about the creator of this demon head, who apparently has been doing special effects in Hollywood for a long time. The name of his company - OCTOPUS STUDIOS!
-- Lithographette

Reply #54 Posted at Mon Oct 28 19:00:08 2002 64.171.78.110
hehe... For halloween I really wish I had a Cthulhu costume, however I don't know if with my slight build I would be properly imposing as a destroyer of earth. On a related note (wrong thread, perhaps?) I watched Dagon last night, and what a fun movie! Not as classic as Re-Animator, but a thouroughly fun Lovecraft adaptation noetheless (despite the fact that the story was basically lifted from "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and not "Dagon")
-- Sedusa

Re: Re: General Octopus sighting
Reply #55 Posted at Mon Oct 28 21:05:49 2002 64.12.96.233

hehe... For halloween I really wish I had a Cthulhu costume, however I don't know if with my slight build I would be properly imposing as a destroyer of earth. On a related note (wrong thread, perhaps?) I watched Dagon last night, and what a fun movie! Not as classic as Re-Animator, but a thouroughly fun Lovecraft adaptation noetheless (despite the fact that the story was basically lifted from "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and not "Dagon")

Hiya Sedusa -- my DAGON review is on Tony's "to be posted" queue, so let me know what you think of it when it appears. ("Your review sucks" is perfectly acceptable, as long as it is followed by some constructive criticism )

I'd be interested to know if the version you saw was VHS or DVD. That's because we rented the VHS version (we don't have a DVD player), and from what I understand the DVD has lots of "extras" such as interviews, a piece about the making of the film, etc., which I'm sorry to have missed.

Regarding Halloween: Don't worry, you can still wear a Cthulhu costume. But to achieve full effect, you must eat about 3 lbs. of well-marinated Maatjes herring within an hour of your Halloween event. Then, rapidly chug down a full 2-liter bottle of seltzer. Do not use mouthwash or brush your teeth! By the time you get to your party or gig, the frightful inhuman sounds you emit, combined with the sheer firepower of your breath, will more than compensate for your non-Shaqlike stature, and should have everyone around you cowering in primal fear or running madly for shelter. You will be totally convincing as a destroyer of the earth, or at least of appetites within a 500-yard radius.

Let me know if this works. I'll be the one wearing the earplugs, gas mask, and HazMat suit.
-- Tani (TaningiaDanae)

Reply #56 Posted at Mon Oct 28 23:38:04 2002 64.171.78.110
hehe, thanks Tani, lol... I can make up for my lack of corpulence with an unspeakably foetid stench. "as a foulness shall ye know them" and all that I bought the DVD but I didn't get a chance to watch the extras yet. I'll let you know... Out of curiosity, did you give it a positive or negative review? I've been a big re-animator fan from back in the day so I was a bit biased...
-- Sedusa

Reply #57 Posted at Wed Oct 30 05:15:45 2002 64.12.96.233

Out of curiosity, did you give it a positive or negative review? I've been a big re-animator fan from back in the day so I was a bit biased...

I gave it 6 out of 8 tentacles (Tony will probably correct that to "arms"), i.e., positive with some qualifications. And yes, you're right about the film's derivation being 99% "Shadow Over Innsmouth" and only 1% "Dagon" (the shipwreck theme).

IMHO, RE-ANIMATOR was so gleefully over-the-top that it came across as more campy than scary, but I think that was intentional. DAGON, though laced with bits of dark humor, was a lot scarier. And those special effects.... well, you know! (Nice try, but you're not gonna trick me into giving away any more about my review )

To paraphrase Tim Curry, I enjoy keeping people in antici....
-- TaningiaDanae

Reply #58 Posted at Thu Oct 31 02:14:14 2002 68.81.32.182
I'll be posting this shortly!! Sorry about the delay... lots of stuff to catch up on...
-- tonmo

Reply #59 Posted at Sun Nov 3 12:47:49 2002 68.81.32.182
It's live! DAGON
-- tonmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back