• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Ok, the 200 is ready for Ocho!

Inception7

Blue Ring
Registered
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice on my earlier post. I have decided to convert my 200 to an octopus tank. I am going today to pick up the little guy and have just one more question. Last night I hooked up the new chiller and set it to 74F. I am wondering, will this be ok whatever species it is? I don't think it's a Bimac now but it may be a vulgaris, humm or briareus. The octopus looks alot like the first picture in the ReefScavengers thread. Many people said it looked like a Vulgaris. Thanks for your help. One more thing, after I acclimate him/her for a couple hours, do I net it or dump most of the water out and let it slide in?

Edit: By the way I am in Southern California.

Ok, so I went just to go visit it today before I take him home later... I notice he has deep blue rings around the suckers on his tenticles... does this mean that he is a hummenlicki?

Could be a clue. I wouldn't use that as a definite way to tell though. I've seen pictures of several different species having the typically solid white suckers and in other photos having color surrounding their suckers.

hummelincki have eyespots, but they don't show them all the time. The eyespots look somewhat different than bimac spots, so they'd be an indicator, if you can get a good pic. I think the recent pic of Glove has blue sucker edges, but I didn't think he's a hummelincki although I don't remember if he's really been IDed.

my last octo was Octopus Sp. 2, if u look that one up in Norman's Cephalopods: A World Guide. he displayed the same threat dispalys and patterns, was the right size, and came from the same region. when startled, he would turn his suckers a dark blue-purple, then go into his black-and-white threat dispaly

Ok, he's in! He's very outgoing, crawling around the glass and dancing along the rocks. He is, however, alot larger then I thought. His tenticles are about 10" long so I fear that I won't have him for long. As far as I can tell there are no eye spots. He apears to be a mixture of black,brown and white. He gets stark white sometimes. Overall, I am very glad to have him!

I'll get some tonight, I am finally getting my digital camera back. Last night I was trying to tip just one crab into the tank and all 5 went in at once... he grabbed all of them at one time and went back into his den. I haven't seen him since. He must be eating very well! I won't make that mistake again.

well, at least you will know how much he can eat in one go... look carefully for 5 carapaces today and see if he ate them all, he may have had eyes bigger than his stomach, killed and not eaten them?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back