Ok, the 200 is ready for Ocho!

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Inception7, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Inception7

Inception7 Blue Ring Supporter

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice on my earlier post. I have decided to convert my 200 to an octopus tank. I am going today to pick up the little guy and have just one more question. Last night I hooked up the new chiller and set it to 74F. I am wondering, will this be ok whatever species it is? I don't think it's a Bimac now but it may be a vulgaris, humm or briareus. The octopus looks alot like the first picture in the ReefScavengers thread. Many people said it looked like a Vulgaris. Thanks for your help. One more thing, after I acclimate him/her for a couple hours, do I net it or dump most of the water out and let it slide in?

Edit: By the way I am in Southern California.

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Don't net it! Just let it climb out of the bag into the tank when you're finished acclimating it.

74 is a pretty good temp to aim for.

3. Inception7

Ok! Sounds good. I will try to get pics after he/she is acclimated and showing normal colors.

4. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Wow you dont waste any time do you. =)

5. Inception7

No I don't, people tell me I'm impatient...

6. Inception7

Ok, so I went just to go visit it today before I take him home later... I notice he has deep blue rings around the suckers on his tenticles... does this mean that he is a hummenlicki?

7. Animal Mother

Could be a clue. I wouldn't use that as a definite way to tell though. I've seen pictures of several different species having the typically solid white suckers and in other photos having color surrounding their suckers.

8. Animal Mother

You just need to get some good pictures for us! :)

9. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

hummelincki have eyespots, but they don't show them all the time. The eyespots look somewhat different than bimac spots, so they'd be an indicator, if you can get a good pic. I think the recent pic of Glove has blue sucker edges, but I didn't think he's a hummelincki although I don't remember if he's really been IDed.

10. daddysquoc

daddysquoc Wonderpus Registered

my last octo was Octopus Sp. 2, if u look that one up in Norman's Cephalopods: A World Guide. he displayed the same threat dispalys and patterns, was the right size, and came from the same region. when startled, he would turn his suckers a dark blue-purple, then go into his black-and-white threat dispaly

11. Inception7

Ok, he's in! He's very outgoing, crawling around the glass and dancing along the rocks. He is, however, alot larger then I thought. His tenticles are about 10" long so I fear that I won't have him for long. As far as I can tell there are no eye spots. He apears to be a mixture of black,brown and white. He gets stark white sometimes. Overall, I am very glad to have him!

12. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

:welcome: Ocho!

13. L8 2 RISE

L8 2 RISE Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

:welcome::octopus: I want pics!!!

14. Inception7

I'll get some tonight, I am finally getting my digital camera back. Last night I was trying to tip just one crab into the tank and all 5 went in at once... he grabbed all of them at one time and went back into his den. I haven't seen him since. He must be eating very well! I won't make that mistake again.

15. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

well, at least you will know how much he can eat in one go... look carefully for 5 carapaces today and see if he ate them all, he may have had eyes bigger than his stomach, killed and not eaten them?

16. Inception7

This is one reason I have super filtration, so I don't have to be in a panic to clean up so fast. I'll check tonight. Also, I am thinking about picking up a serpent star for clean up.

17. fishkid6692

fishkid6692 Vampyroteuthis Supporter

any pics yet?

18. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

If you notice the eyespots let us know...it could be either bimac or hummelincki then.