• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ok lets feed it

hermits?

i dont want to sound newbie but are the hermits your talking about the little crabs in my clean up crew in my reef tank?

Probably! Hermit crabs are the one that inhabit old snail shells (don't grow their own) they are often in cleanup crews and can come in a range of species and sizes, octopus will quite often find them most tasty!

J

o cause i thought it must be somthing else cause these cost like 3-5 dollars each at my lfs for cleanup crews do you guys buy in bulk or something?and if so how much are they then?

uuuuhhhhhhh.....try finding another LFS, I dont know anywhere, apart from petco and petsmart, that sells hermits for more than .99 each. And petco/petsmart really aren't great places to buy live pets because thestaff really doessnt know that much about specific animals, they pretty much higher anyone off the street, it's alright to buy food and supplies, but the live animals are over priced, under cared for, and under quality in my experience.

i dont use petco i use apsolutley fish and they sell snails for 5 dolars the ones in a cleanup crew if you buy 1 alone, is that a good deal? if not please tell me a spot online......

L8 2 RISE uuuuhhhhhhh.....try finding another LFS, I dont know anywhere, apart from petco and petsmart, that sells hermits for more than .99 each. And petco/petsmart really aren't great places to buy live pets because thestaff really doessnt know that much about specific animals, they pretty much higher anyone off the street, it's alright to buy food and supplies, but the live animals are over priced, under cared for, and under quality in my experience.

I work at Petco and so does shane .... but yes you are somewhat right... i would look at another fish store or order them online... and yes our hermits are expensive but we do beat prices on some things than any LFS can ex:any fish from ORA.... some of the staff doesn't know much about the salt but some do... it really depends on the store... we are a small store and only have 11 employees and of those 11 5 have reef tanks.. well one just sold his... and we all care very much about all of the animal... i have gone to great lengths to take care of many of them... I now own her... but shane and I had to take home a bird at night so that she could be in constant supervision, i have bottle fed a baby hamster every 3-4 hours, and for about a month went into work twice a day to flush a guinea pigs wound, I have rushed animals to the vet, and tried to save somes lives at my expense... About the staff it depends on who the store manager is that is hiring, they don't let just anyone take care of the animals... some of the animals might be overpriced for your area but it depends on the area in which you live and the other store competition you have in your area... here there is a group of pet stores but they are priced WAY higher than we are....The animals are not undercared for... they are not ideal situations and are not meant to be perminant or even extended living arrangements... a LOT of our animals have names and we are very attached to any that are there very long.... it is our policy to reduce the price or adopt out animals that have been there more than 3 months with the exception of some of the reptiles and there is no way to know which goldfish is the new one and which is the older one, we all take great care in providing everything we can for every animal... we give everything "treats" and attention that is appropriate for them... we go to the store for them and we all often bring things from home that they would like that we do not have at the store... as far as being under quality it depends on the type of animal... we do have problems with the genes being too thin on our mice and rats... and like any pet store we do have an unfortunate loss... and depending on the store I would or would not recommend buying their salt fish, and which type of fish to purchase...

sorry about the rant... but i hope i got my point across

I did not mean my comment in any way to be offensive. All of what I said is from my experience, and to date, I think I have had one good experience out of about seven experiences with live pets from them. I agree, it does depend on the store, and it sounds like your store is one I would very much enjoy shopping at. But, as i said, I havent had a good experience with any of the larger, "chain" pet stores around me, so have started going to smaller, privately owned pet stores for all of my live stuff. I am very sorry for anything I said that offended you, I was just speaking from my experience in my area.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back