• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ok , i really need tank HELP how does this supply list sound?

nini

Wonderpus
Registered
30 gallon tank
pump
skimmer
live sand
clams,shrimp,crabs
a live 5lb fiji rock
filter
please let me know if i left any thing out,or if i should not purchase somthing
thanx

you may want more than 5 lb the usualy amount of live rock for a tank is 2 pounds per gallon or 1 pound per gallon. octopus dont need toys but they need your atention or they will get bord and make a better efort to get out of your tank

Octopuses need both your attention and some toys or objects of interest.

Not all octos show the same interest in toys, and some will keep objects as prized possessions - my bimac did this with the little bottle I gave her. It was a sturdy small glass bottle with a shell and some sand inside, also some water to weigh it down a bit. Insted of playing with it, as I had hoped, she took it right to her den and kept it there. I could peek in and see her sleeping with an arm around the little bottle.

Nancy

salt

water containers

water resevoir if running top up

ro filter if doin at home

clean up crew

standard nets and cleaners

electric timers

syphon kit

test kits

fans??/heater??

octopus :biggrin2:

Here are some comments on the previous posts:

You don't have to have live sand. If you use regular sand (which you have to wash) and have live rock, the sand will become "live" in a little while. I'd recommend an aragonite sand to help with pH stability.

You don't have to have a feeder tank if you have some other way of getting your live food.

No one mentioned a powerhead for circulation or a cleaning magnet.

There are other sorts of filters than canister filters but that's probably the best if you're not going to have a sump.

The "clean up crew" that Scouse refers to is the snails, crabs, and other small creatures that clean up the waste in your tank.

Nancy

well you dont realy need a timer I use my tank with out because I have 2 seporate lights one has a dawn dusk. and other has mid day light. I leave dawndusk on for a little like 5 minutes and then I turn on the day lights at night I put the day lights off then I wait 5 minutes and turn dawn dusk off. this leaves a nice dawn dusk afect for cheap

carbon

filter media

hoses for moving water around (you'll get bored of this after a while :lol: )

thermostat (best have one with an alarm)

you'll find long pinchers will come in handy

powerhead for making up saltwater

Hey Nancy talkin about clean up crew, did Ollie eat all his or grow out of the small ones and then eat the big and you replaced as necessary?? wondering since ive just spent a bomb on them an will prob have to replace when they get gobble up!?!? oh dear

cheers

Hi Scouse,

The first thing little Ollie did when she arrived was to eat my biggest snail! She liked some snails, not others. Ollie soon outgrew hermit crabs and eventually swore off all snails. So you may lose some of your cleanup crew and have to replace them but eventually your octo will want larger food.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back