[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Officinalis Eggs Found in Garden

Hatched many cuttles from eggs found on shore of south coast (Eastbourne, mostly) - eggs travelled home in damp seaweed. Never worried about temperature - some lived with tropical seahorses @ 80F (+?) upstairs in semi-natural tank (with reverse-flow filtration and protein skimmer, caulerpa weed) - temperature probably more important as they grow? Others hatched outdoors with native weeds (while I was hunting replacement eggs on a hot August day!), kept some unheated in the garage with a protein skimmer (vital to reduce waste and clean ink out of water) for over a year.

Vital that they can feed early (I only had access to "river shrimp"), which needs to be small enough that they can be caught, killed and eaten without the cuttle being kicked off. Non-feeders die. Later dead food (thawed shrimp, fish) may be taken but felt that fish might be worse if the cuttles have rear-end damage from hitting the glass. They learn that YOU feed them! I thought brine shrimp too "fluffy", only used in emergency. At least 1 cuttle developed a taste for young seahorses . . .

Thank you mikeconstable. Six still happy and hunting, I moved them onto sandhopper shrimp off the beach today as have a ready supply and thought more likely what they would be eating, plus I can't get enough mysis now to keep up with them. Few took to the shrimp like pro's but a couple seemed terrified and jetted away. They are growing fast and did some little ink squirts this morning when I startled them, first time that's happened.

Can you remember how old they were when they took frozen food? One of mine ate some yesterday but once it reaches the bottom they ignore it. They are def recognising me now and a few swim up to the glass and change colour, go a rusty reddish brown which I am assuming is excitement as they know dinner is coming.

Hunting tigger pods

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 100
I have been raising Dwarf cuttles for awhile. Agitated water flow is actually good for them seeing they seem to develop better in their sacs and have a higher birth rate that way. After about a month they will need larger prey than Mysid. I use Grass or Ghost shrimp. Any questions on them?

Even though you have a high birth rate they still will have a lower survival rate. Even though my recent clutch had 100% birth rate, 10 to be exact, I have only 4 surviving. Some just didnt want to eat, some Born too early, damage to tentacles, and natural strongest survival, affects how many of your clutch will make it to adulthood.

I have seven in total now 11 days old, only one baby hatched and was deformed so died shortly after hatching, the rest seem OK, moved them onto the sandhopper Amphipods shrimp which is very plentiful on the beach and easy to collect at low tide, they are all eating them now with enthusiasm, the new shrimp are about 5 times the size of mysis and have a harder shell but they don't seem to be having a problem with them. Do you have any photos of your cuttles would love to see them.

Hello, thought I would update everyone on the cuttles. Still have seven, been really lucky and found plenty of food they particularly enjoy, sand Amphipods of the beach, small crab are their faviorites.

I have done a little experiment which so far has paid off, I moved four of the seven into my 900l reef tank which has been fishless since May (ick treatment fallow period) and so is running alive with critters. Considering how fast they are growing and how they appear to be establishing their own territory's and spending less time near each other I though I would seperatle them give them some space. My reef tank runs at 25C which is their upper temp tolerance but I been watching them closely for last 10 days for signs of distress. The four I moved are now three or four times the size of the others and look beautiful, all have their own space in a 6x2x2 mixed coral reef, they hunt all the tiny critters and take dead foods offered. Seen them catching prey at their leisure when lights are out, they eat brittle stars which is a good thing as I have millions of them and tally leave my snails alone.

All recognise me and swim over to beg for food, proper wet pets more character than any fish I have owned.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    852 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    776.5 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 101
It is interesting that they are eating the brittle stars. Octopuses pretty much ignore the larger type brittles and I am assuming you are referring to the very small starfish/brittle stars that are about dime sized full grown. Yes?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back