• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Off the shelf escape proof tank?

Hi everybody!

You guys may be able to assist.

Is there an off the shelf, pre made octopus escape proof set up available to purchase?

It does not matter where in the world one might be available, I'll have it shipped to me.

Thanks in advance if you know of such a tank.

8leggedgroover.

I am not aware of anything like that - the market is too small. Some of the newer all in one cube systems are pretty close - they just need a lid and some additional screen on the overflow. You could always have a custom tank maker make you what you want.

Oh - :welcome:

Thanks Thales.

Custom does make sense because I could have the tank size to my specs.

Plenty of custom builders in the UK, just a question of getting them to make it EXACTLY to spec.

While you are looking/designing consider tanks that have or can be fitted for 3" or better of overhanging edge along the top. Most acrylics are made this way for support but an acrylic (or glass) surround can custom made to sit on a framed glass tank if the top frame has enough lip to accomodate it (you will need support bars for longer tanks if they are not part of the frame). The top overhang not only provides a good surface for an easy access and easy to secure hinged lid but also seems to go along way toward discouraging escape.

8leggedgroover;171485 said:
Thanks Thales.

Custom does make sense because I could have the tank size to my specs.

Plenty of custom builders in the UK, just a question of getting them to make it EXACTLY to spec.

Gotcha - do you know Simon Garratt? He has had a lot of custom work done, so maybe he is a good resource to get in contact with regarding a good builder.

Thales;171494 said:
Gotcha - do you know Simon Garratt? He has had a lot of custom work done, so maybe he is a good resource to get in contact with regarding a good builder.

No I don't know Simon but would appreciate contact details if you have any.

Thanks.

I'm pretty confident of making the lid escape proof but will need more thought on water exit/returns. Filtration, skimming and maturing the tabk will be ok too as I had had a mini reef for a few years now.

Sorrry I realise this should be in the tank build section.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back