octosimpsons

Here in the 'Burque KASA Fox 2 gratefully braodcasts the Simpsons twice daily. Last nights 10:00 episode was the one where Marge is in the musical version of Streetcar Named Desire called Oh! Streetcar.

During the opening sequence, the "couch gag" featured the Simpsons Family hopping on the couch, which promptly ate them as it morphed into a huge octopus like creature (its face looked more like a fish, but it had the tentacles)

Also, The two aliens featured on many episodes are also very octo like. Although these aliens oft wreak havoc, they are somewhat sympathetic characters, displaying emotion and what not.

Thats my general sighting for the day! :heee:

I don't know if I am overexposed to the media or what, but here is my general sighting for the day.

On last nights Jeopardy, during the jeopardy round, the following clue was given ( I don't remember the catagory, it was somethign like "size matters" this clue is paraphrased but accurate)

This underwater animal has the largest eye of any animal in the world

The answer

GIANT SQUID!!!! :squid:

I was listening in the kitchen while cooking, head the clue, and shouted out ARCHITECTUETHIS DUX!!! Then I wondered if the judges would even know what I was talking about.

lithographette said:
GIANT SQUID!!!! :squid:

I was listening in the kitchen while cooking, head the clue, and shouted out ARCHITECTUETHIS DUX!!! Then I wondered if the judges would even know what I was talking about.

No worries, Lith! Alex Trebek probably would've picked up on that -- and if not, "What" would've been the biggest damn letter protest ever launched by a bunch of online ceph geeks!

Re THE SIMPSONS: Let's not forget the Sea Cap'n's nemesis, The White Giant Squid (as in "Aaaargh, Squiddy!") -- who, like the Cap'n himself, periodically "surfaces" for a cameo on the show.

PS: I want that clip art!! :smile:
The Tanster

Yet another general sighting from the world of Jeopardy. You know how after the first commercial break they have a little "meet the contestants" spot where they each get about 30 seconds to say something? Well, last night one of the female challengers most exciting moment in her whole life was when her son got "attacked" by an octo. She had friends at the aquarium in Indiana Who took her and young son behind the scenes to check out the octo tank. Whilst leaning too close, one of them wrapped a tentacle around her sons wrist. She and the aquarium employee removed it quickly, although she said it had quite a grip. And thank goodness, her son was spared!
A bit over dramatized if you ask me, but then again, I cannot comment on a mothers love type of feeling. Y'know, that crazy instinct that must kick in if your offspring is in the sleightest danger from an I'm sure well meaning and simply curious octo.

As a mom, I'd have to say it depends upon the age of the child. Assuming we're not talking about a Blue-Ring, if it were an older child or adolescent I don't think I'd panic unless the octo was clearly attempting to bite. Perhaps I'm anthropomorphizing again (I tend to do that when it comes to critters I like!) but I'd interpret the "gesture" as an act of friendly curiosity on the part of the octo.

I had a similar experience, though admittedly there was a pane of glass between me and the octo. Years ago at the NY Aquarium, I was looking at the octopus exhibit to find the shy little guy (or gal) hiding in a rock crevice at the back of the tank. Just to see what would happen, I placed my palm against the glass, and amazingly, the octo -- still in its little hiding place -- reached out with one arm and placed it exactly where my hand was, as if trying to "shake hands". I thought that was neat!

Still, if an octopus in a tank seized my young child or baby by the wrist, I'd probably act just as the mother in the anecdote did. There's something to be said about hominid maternal instinct too.... :biggrin2:

Another sighting from a Simpsons episode: In "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" (the military school episode) a sound wave shatters a tank and an octo launches itself at Professor Frink, and wraps firmly around his head... but if memory serves, the octo is purple so it might be a tad tough to identify it :smile: but what can you say about a show where a portion of the town has blue hair? and TaningiaDanae, you forgot to mention Capt. McAllister tells squidy he 'was only after the gold in your belly' maybe we should ask our resident scientists if theyve ever found gold inside giant squids :smile: as for kang and kodos, theyre a tad inept and might give octos a bad name...plus they slobber too much.... as you might be able to tell, im a bit of a fan of the show and ill give a yell if i see any more cephs...

ARGH!! i knew as soon as i left the site i'd remember another Ceph sighting.... from "Homer Badman" (the sexual harassment episode) when Homer launches into his 'Under the Sea' song, but before he eats all the critters, Marge can be seen playing an Octo like a harp....

"There'll be no accusations, only friendly crustaceans....Under the Seeeeeeeeeea"

:smile:

WhiteKiboko said:
TaningiaDanae, you forgot to mention Capt. McAllister tells squidy he 'was only after the gold in your belly' maybe we should ask our resident scientists if theyve ever found gold inside giant squids :smile:

Ah yes, how could I forget that classic line! :smile: Apparently Squiddy was a forgiving sort because I seem to recall that he and the cap'n were standing with their arm (and tentacle) around each other's shoulders in that episode. It could have been worse -- if Monty Burns got wind of that gold rumor, Squiddy would've been the entree at the next big Springfield Calamari Fry!

BTW, what does "Kiboko" mean?

Squidly salutations,
Tani

Kiboko is swahili for hippo....I was messing around on one of those websites that will translate things into other tongues and i was looking for something different, and in an african mood so i tried hippo....since theres a legend about white elephants, i figured i could make my own about a white hippo....plus im not exactly tiny at 6'3" and weighing in excess of 20 stone (odd units are fun!) so it seemed to fit

another simpsons ceph sighting.... in one of the tracy ulman shorts, then shown again on "the simpsons 138th episode spectacular" bart is imagining himself as jacques costeau in the bath tub, and is "attacked" by an octo floating past... i really probably watch that show too much, but oh well, i have a soft spot for satire, especially when it includes itself

I thought of another one too! On the episode where Homer joins the Navy Reserve and is unwittingly put in charge of a nuclear sub, there is a split second scene where they show the ocean surrounding the sub, and along with other creatures, a giant squid hovers right next to it - looking a bit menacing.

WhiteKiboko said:
Kiboko is swahili for hippo....I was messing around on one of those websites that will translate things into other tongues and i was looking for something different, and in an african mood so i tried hippo....since theres a legend about white elephants, i figured i could make my own about a white hippo....plus im not exactly tiny at 6'3" and weighing in excess of 20 stone (odd units are fun!) so it seemed to fit

Hey there, Kiboko --

Cool! I love hippopotami (sp?), and come to think of it I recently saw a show on ANIMAL PLANET about a young zookeeper who had a real rapport with the hippo in her charge, coincidentally named Kiboko too (the hippo, not the zookeeper!). She (the zookeeper, not the hippo!) loved everything pertaining to hippos, and wore little hippo-figure earrings and pendant, the way many of us would do with ceph stuff.

The amazing thing was the hippo's gentleness with her. While it was being hand-fed (hay or grass) by the zookeeper, it allowed her to affectionately pat the roof of its mouth, which normally would've been a good way to lose an arm! From what I've heard, more people in Africa are killed by hippos than by crocodiles, and in fact crocs have sometimes been literally snapped in two by the massive mammals.

Another interesting bit of trivia -- it is the opinion of many Biblical scholars that the "Behemoth", described so majestically in the Book of Job, was a reference to the hippopotamus:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/monsters/Html/Behemoth.htm

Now, is everybody here prepared to go on "Jeopardy"? :idea:

:beer:
Cheers,
Cliff "Tani" Clavin

ok people... i really may watch the simpsons too much..... in "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show" when roger meyers jr is pitching the idea of adding a new character, krusty tries to guess, first he guesses "a sexy broad" and then "a gangster octopus" while we dont get to see it, i kinda like the idea....

There was one where Homer has a badger in Santa's Little Helper's kennel and he goes to phone a place to get it removed and the pic in the yellow pages shows a woman on a chair, holding a big brush trying keep away a big octo.......

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back