• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octos from korean restaurants

kilbot1982

Hatchling
Registered
hey, has anyone ever tryed to get a pet octopus from a korean restaurant?

some of them serve San Nachi which is like a full plate of live baby octopus..

thinkin maybe you could get just one of those super cheap and it would make a

good pet, plus you would be saving its life.

I looked here in Houston and no one had them that I could find. I was told that they dont like to just say yes we sell live octopus over the phone. To much heat from the public I think. I think you actually have to know they sell it or be Korean/Asian in order for them to help you out... at least here in Houston.

If I had a job...I wouldnt hesitate to give them a try. There were a few that were extremely active.
I have to get on my feet first before I re-set up tanks again.

( Im sure I'll be here this friday though checking out the health of new arrivals.)
Still cant believe only $14

I wonder if they kept them in saltwater or if they put them in fresh water. I dont know that they would spend money on salt or keep them in proper water chemistry to keep them alive... seems like they dont much care if they die so why bother.

I'm not sure how it works with live octos in the market but with shrimp, when a load of live local shrimp is delivered it comes with fresh seawater to do a water change. They basically have a truck that is a huge fishtank on wheels, and when they deliver the shrimp they first do a water change which varies form 20-50%, just like with a regular aquarium. I asked at the grocery store about the tank of "Live Maine Lobsters," which are typically not shipped in water just in an insulated box with seaweed. The person behind the counter told me the local aquarium maintenance companies took care of it. So it would be my guess that for the octopuses, the tank is cared for by a local company or by the actual seafood provider.

The PETA fanatics have caused Korean restaurants (and maybe seafood dealers) that sell live octopus to go keep quiet about it, so while they probably still serve it, if asked, they keep quiet about it. If your city has a "Korea Town", It might pay to find a fish market manager or restaurant owner, and offer them some money to order some for you. (Maybe they already have some in a back room)

Even if you could find a source, the one guy on Tonmo who tried it failed several times in a row. It was unclear what species he was getting, or even what temperature range was correct, so if you can get the conditions correct, maybe you'll find that it can be done.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back