octos at salwaterfish.com

Monty, you make good points. This is a good discussion, though it might be heading in an off-topic direction.

I remember hearing an author interviewed on NPR talking about Whole Foods and their "stories." You walk into the store, and every isle and sign tells you the story of the happy free range chicken who lived a long healthy life on his own terms in a free environment where he could roam and explore as he pleased. He started visiting the suppliers and found the free-range chickens didn't live in any better conditions than conventional chickens, with respect to cleanliness or population density. But the story is so good, everyone buys into it and is ready to drop twice as much cash as the would at the regular supermarket.

I'm a vegetarian so it isn't really an issue for me. I'm not one for moral reasons, but rather just because I'm picky :smile:

Dan

DHyslop said:
Monty, you make good points. This is a good discussion, though it might be heading in an off-topic direction.

Yeah, I thought about moving that post to the off-topic supporters or somewhere more appropriate than "marketplace," but I couldn't think of where to put it... (and I don't think Roy's a supporter, so I wanted to not miss my chance at learning more about stomatopods...)

I wanted to make a point about what the girl at Whole Foods told Monty about the lobsters.

The other day, I was in a Whole Foods market, where they carry squids and several octopus salads and such. Because I was curious if the squid were locally caught (e.g. L. Opalscens) or Atlantic squids shipped frozen or something, I asked some random hippy-girl employee if she knew anything about them. She said that she didn't know, but she was sure they were "humanely caught" because they have now stopped carrying live lobsters because it's cruel (probably this is related to PETA's push for not boiling lobsters).

This employee was way off - the reason Whole Foods stopped carrying live lobsters was because they felt they couldn't care for them properly. It had nothing to do with PETA or boiling lobsters.

Nancy

Nancy said:
I wanted to make a point about what the girl at Whole Foods told Monty about the lobsters.

This employee was way off - the reason Whole Foods stopped carrying live lobsters was because they felt they couldn't care for them properly. It had nothing to do with PETA or boiling lobsters.

Nancy

Thanks for clarifying; that makes more sense, at least...

I suppose I should also mention that Whole Foods does some things which I find pretty appealing: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/06/whole_foods_mak.php

(no, I don't normally frequent "treehugger.com")

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back