• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octopus!

I just got an octopus today from an LFS. His mantle is about 2 in. long and he is currently walking around the rocks in the tank. the store didn't know what species he is, so i was hoping that when i finally get my camera working someone could help me ID him. He does have 2 blue and yellow rings that look like a bimac. Anyway i hope to have pics in my next post.

Well, welcome to another Tonmo octopus! - does it have a name yet?
I'm keeping a list of our octopuses at the top of the Journals and Photos forum.

Have a look at the Bimac Care Sheet - click on the Ceph Care button above. There is a good photo of a bimac's ring there so you can compare.

Looking forward to the photos

Nancy

update

Hi everyone,

Im so sorry I havent been updating you on my octopus, Ive been really busy. But I have some pictures that hopefully posted right and maybe someone could give me an idea of what species it is. He has been doing well, very active and very greedy. He has grown alittle and seems very happy.

Thanks alot,
Ben

Attachments

• conv_288212.jpg
    conv_288212.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi Ben,

Glad to hear that all is well with your octopus. I'd like to add it to the list of Tonmo octopuses - if you have a name for it, I could add that, too.

Can you get a better pic of the eyespot for ID purposes?

Nancy

Hi Nancy,
Unfortunatly this is the best picture I could get of the eyespots. They are usually pretty faded and hard to see. Sometimes you cant see them at all. There is a brown ring with a blue circle inside. His body is normally a brown color with some very skinny black lines on his mantle. Sorry about the picture and thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Ben

Attachments

• conv_288213.jpg
    conv_288213.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 43
I can't see the details of the ring very well.

I mentioned the photo of the false eye spot found in the Bimac Care Sheet (Click on the Ceph Care button above). Can you take look and compare with your octo's spot, when it's bright. Is there an unbroken chain? Are the colors similar?

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back