Octopus

Hajar;165775 said:
That indentation D is the ink sack. Here attached is a very preliminary sketch of the animal (I've just been looking at illustrations of octopus anatomy). There are more fine structures above the area of brown stain and also in the area between the mouth and the mantle.
I thought the indentation was the beak also :oops: Thank you for the sketch, that really helps.

Terri;165777 said:
Very cool Hajar! Your and Kevins' fossils seem so much more fascinating than my old battered things, that I am never sure if I should be posting them or not! :hmm:
The Ordovician was a long time ago, fossils from then out here are just as battered. I don't think we will find anything as well preserved, but they are still fascinating, post away!!! :smile:

not as old as Kevin, at 106
hummm, that makes me 107 :shock:, Annie Oakley

Hajar, thanks for the clarification. I am still very crude at identifying body parts but knew that would not be right for an octopus, no matter how you smushed it given that evidence suggests they have not changed much since first fossil discovery. I have yet to dissect one of my octos after preserving a few of them but should do that one of these days to see what I can identify on the inside. Perhaps when my granddaughter takes biology (still a couple of years away) we can set up a project for a larger one that never went to the intended home.

I know Hapalochlaena species take the bisquit, psychedelicallywise, but I've always been a big fan of Octopus mototi.

Back on topic, I've taken the liberty of enhancing contrast somewhat on your photograph of the specimen, trying to locate the beak, which might indeed be the structure you indicated as such.... Not sure, however, whether this would be a lower or upper half, my suspicions pointing towards the latter.

LebanonOctopussm-1.jpg

So it does (or the "eye ridge" is a bandana). This was not the best specimen to start with since the phosphatisation is so light. The mantles of the vampyropods show up much more spectacularly.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back