Octopus ??? (yet to be named)

I have asked this question befor but will again. How do you properly and safely use an airstone in an octopus tank. I purchased a air pump with battery back-up in case our power goes out. Then again we just purchased a very large whole house generator. (we have frequent outages) It can power the furnace, TV, cable box, all my tanks and some lights. We tested it, I was shocked, we had plenty to spare. I had planned to just run my pumps with no lights or skimmer. A generator is the way to go, but would like clarification on using air stones in emergency situations. (would not use one otherwise)
Are you blacking out the tank w/this octopus? My vulgaris was not completely nocturnal. Wouldn't you want to encourage it to emerge in the daylight. I think this would be counter-productive. :hmm:

I just finished setting everything up. I'm running the whisper filter now to clear up the water so I can arrange the rocks and smooth out the sand before I place him in it. I am using an air stone because there is not a lot of water movement across the surface of the tank. I see no problems in using them so long as your DO is not too high and the pump is neither sucking in the air or blasting it around the tank. You want the bubbles in a secluded area where they can go straight to the surface. I'm sorry to hear about your power issues. I will try to get my wife to help me with moving him over so I can record the intuit process so every one can see. As for the day light thing, you'll see the intensity of the lights I'm using and I think you'll understand the reason to my madness.

Right now ne is running a muck in his new aquarium. I think he really enjoys it. He's acting like a kid in a candy story running every, touching everything. I have a video of moving him over and one of him crawling around. I'm uploading them to youtube right now. He is just none stop right now. I'm thinking about getting some more LED lights so that I can have a more equal spread of blue and white. I'll post more videos when the water clears up again.

I tested light intensity by placing the T8 actinic that was over his critter keeper along with the LED's, and he hid almost instantly. He stayed hidden until I took it off and left only the LED's illuminated. Now he's back crawling all over again. Right now the blue and white are not evenly distributed, so I think I'll go get another blue to see if that spreads it out better. Right now I have it white/blue/white and it's not mixing as well as I'd like.

Well he is still out and about. I'm shocked at his activity level. This tank is turning out to be quit a nice nocturnal setup. I just need to tweek it a little here and there.

Thanks. It has cleared up a bit over night. Hopefully by the time I get home it will be crystal. I'm not sure if I'm going to get another blue LED because it is so much brighter then the whites. I will rearrange them on the tank first to see if its needed or not.

Here's a video of tonights feeding time with the new light arrangment. I did not add any new lights. I merely placed them in a row from front to back(w/b/w). I like the new look. I think it gives the impression of a full moon effect spotlighting a reef(except that I've been on a reef during a full moon in crystal clear conditions with calm seas and I know that the color spectrum is all wrong, but it's the same lighting effect).

Yes, a very cool effect but you filmed from too far away. I am so difficult to please LOL. What size tank? Looks so small, but so does my 120 in photos and videos. You said light color is off? I though What are you going for? Thought you wanted to go more blue to give it the night time look.

lol Well actually my wife filmed it. She's not always the best at clarity. I'll post a better film later on. The water has cleared up almost perfectly. The tank is only a 40 gallon. I have a 55 gallon sump and a 250 gallon main tank set up and running now that I can progress him into when needed so don't anyone get into a fuss about the tank size. As for the lighting, in nature lunar lights are not actually blue. If you were to go onto a reef under a full moon with no artificial light, you would see a dim grey hue(pardon my spelling if this is incorrect) that barely illuminates your surrounding. I have yet to be able replicate this. Actually what I was trying to do is get an equal amount of blue and white with these LED's while still keeping the tank dim. The camera does not pick it up, but the tank is actually more white then blue and you are able to see more reds and browns than what you actually see on the video. I've tried with two different cameras, but all they pick up is blue, It's a pitty, because the tank looks so much better in person. The octopus(my wife wants to call him marbles because she saw 'marble' on her chess set but I'm not sold on that one just yet) loves it. Anyways, it's late and my wife is in bed as should I. Thanks for the comments. I'll post more later.

A name is no longer needed. I found him dead today with two arms inside the power head when I got home from work. It's hard to end a bad day at work with a dead animal at home. Well I'm offically done with cephs until my wife and I move next year. I still have my O. Hummelincki, and she's not showing any signs of dying anytime soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back