Octopus ??? (yet to be named)

As may already know, I purchased what I believe is an Octopus Vulgaris a few days ago. While I will not keep a very detailed journal on this guy, I will still post things from time to time.

Congratulations!
Hope you decide to do videos and photos like you did for Bubbles - we all enjoyed those.
Let us know when you decide on a name.

Nancy

The entirely nocturnal part may change once it settles in. Diablo began emerging earlier and earlier in the day. Very long thin arms? Diablo had thick arms, I'd describe them as medium in length. (if that is acceptable) Interesting...may not be O. vulgaris.
photos??

It was really difficult to see in those photos, too blurry. From the red light video, arms do not look that skinny or long compared to the mantle. More photos, when you have a chance. Now I am very interested. :smile:

You're right. I came home today to find him sprawled out across the top of the tank just crawling around. I was able to snap a few pictures of him before he went back in. My presence scared him I think.

Attachments

• conv_297947.jpg
    conv_297947.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 142
  • conv_297948.jpg
    conv_297948.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 126
I am thinking it looks like it could be O. vulgaris but not 100 percent. Your water sure is cloudy, whats up with that? Rearranged the tank? It's wonderful that it is eating for you. Very nice, Keep the photos coming. :smile:

Yes. We just recently moved so the tank was torn down and reassembled. It's one hundred times clearer than when I first put everything in there. It's just going to take a while before its crystal again. I want to say vulgaris as well, but it's legs are sooo long and they look so thin. I love the color paterns it shows when I feed it. It turns almost the exact color and texture of the rocks that I wouldn't be able to see it if I didn't know where it was.

He was out and about again this afternoon/evening when my wife and I got back from the store. This time he did not rush to his den when I approached the tank. My wife has allowed me to set up a 37 gallon tank that used to be our herp tank into a saltwater tank for him. I have three(two white/one blue) LED strips for lighting which casts a pale white/blue over the tank. I plan on putting solid black plastic backgrounds on the back, sides, and top to keep the tank as dim as possible. I will make this my nocturnal tank. I also plan on sharing water from my 250 gallon aquarium to keep the chemistry equalized. The tank will have one maxijet powerhead with propeller adaptor for water movement and an air stone for oxygenation. I'll have plenty of live rock in there for filtration and shelter for the octopus. In my head this is looking like a really nice project. Only time will tell if it truely turns out as I have it planned. None of my projects ever do...so we'll see. I'm sure that he'll much prefer the added space and lack of predatory company.

Right now my wife and I are sharing cars, and as she will be using it tomorrow to go to work I will be stuck at home. I am hoping to have this new tank up and running completed by tomorrow evening. I will post pictures, but I'm willing to bet the tank will be cloudy. I may use a whipser filter designed for a fourty gallon tank for added filtration, but I'm still undecided on that.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back