Octopus Wrestling

Snafflehound

GPO
Registered
As a promotion, Ivar Haglund of Ivar's Fish Bar fame (Seattle seafood chain) once staged a wrestling match between "Oliver Octopus" ( resident in his aquarium and presumably O. dolfleini) and an over-the-hill prizefighter named "Two-Ton Tony".

Full story here

A real Calamari Wrestler

Long time no post.

Anyway I didn't want to start a new thread on this and I did check round to see if it has been posted before.

Previous thread I found were:

Octopus (Pro) Wrestling (which you can sign me up for)
www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244

Interview with an octopus wrestler
www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233

See also:
Octopus wrestling - Wikipedia
The Calamari Wrestler - Wikipedia

Anyway I stumbled across this video and thought that although it might upset and potential disturb some people it'd be worth sharing with the good folks here.

Possibly a little explanation - as far as people can tell it appears that the octopus has a nerve spot that when gripped makes it go limp. One Japanese chap then gets to grips with what appears to be a Giant Pacific Octopus (although a small one if it is) and bites the aforementioned weakspot.

So be warned it is odd and disturbing (I feel distinctly queasy just watching it) so if you suspect it might not be your cup of tea you may not want to watch.

http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcontents/2007/03/man_makes_out_w.html
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxkG0eQWmw

It's very disturbing. What they're doing by biting there is crushing part of the brain (or all in a small specimen) which would kill or severely injure an octopus. In many parts of the world this is how octopus are killed for dinner. The fact that the octopus suckers were still holding on after the bite could be post death reflex (they go on sucking for some time) or the poor thing was injured but not dead :evil:

Were the white coated ones supposed to be researchers? Totally irresponsible behaviour if they were:mad:

J

It never ceases to amaze me what pops up on japanese television for entertainment. This just makes me want to cry... and I am actually all for killing animals for the proper purposes (food, research...), but this just seems to....cheap and pointless....

thats terrible. it ranks up there with pit bull and cock fighting. disgusting:mad:

I'm fine with eating them, just as long as their not alive when you do it. some cultures do that and you can tell the poor occy is writhing in pain

Taollan;89756 said:
It never ceases to amaze me what pops up on japanese television for entertainment. This just makes me want to cry... and I am actually all for killing animals for the proper purposes (food, research...), but this just seems to....cheap and pointless....

In my book tis right up there with trophy hunting/fishing.........if you're going to eat it fine (I like venison!!) but to stuff it and stick it above the fireplace......I just don't get that, I'd rather have a pic of the critter in it's natural environment doing what comes...er....naturally!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back