• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus with eggs

Hi eveyone

I just got an octopus, not too sure of its kind. One day after I got it, it lays a bunch of eggs and is now cuddling them. Anyone out there knows how to take care of them? What shd I feed the babies when they arrive?

I read somewhere that the mother will usually not eat when the eggs are not hatched. And she is likely to die after that. Is it true? Anyone of you hv got such experience, pls share!!!

Posted: Nov 10, 2004 at 7: Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Octopus are good mothers! She will guard the eggs and keep them clean and oxygenated. If they are fetile and hatch she won't eat them. Sorry but in many instances the female dies (although Carol and Nancy had some that actually started to eat again and hung on for a few more weeks). As for looking after the squirtlings? Be prepared to work VERY hard! These have voracious appetites! amphipods etc and very small mysids are good. They are cannibalistic so you will lose some but you may get a few through! Don't be too disheartened if they all die tho' that is often the way of things. In nature very very few would survive to adulthood.

cheers

J

Posted: Nov 15, 2004 at 9: Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice, Jean.

But how long does it take for the eggs to be hatched? I believe the mother octopus must die of hunger as they hardly move about nor feed. I'm trying to get it to eat but only successful at times. Anyone can offer further advice?

Posted: Nov 15, 2004 at 10: Post subject:

sgoctopus wrote:
Thanks for the advice, Jean.

But how long does it take for the eggs to be hatched? I believe the mother octopus must die of hunger as they hardly move about nor feed. I'm trying to get it to eat but only successful at times. Anyone can offer further advice?

Depends very much on the species! Our P.cordiformis can take 70 or 80 days! But you should be able to see if they're fertile before that. The embryo's will develop eyes! And sometimes you can see the chromatophores on the skin through the egg case!

J

Posted: Nov 16, 2004 at 12: Post subject:

Some mother octopuses will eat, but they won't come out of the den, so you must hand her the food or place it where she can get to it easily. If she doesn't want to eat one day, try againt the next. My octopus refused food right at first, but accepted it more and more as time went on.

For some species, the eggs may hatch in a little more than a month. Depends on the water temperature, too.

Nancy

Posted: Nov 19, 2004 at 10: Post subject: Mother octopus died

My octopus died this morning after putting down all her eggs. Luckily, all the eggs have eyes in them like you say ... I can't wait till they actually come out. I've standby baby mysids to await their arrival. Any idea how soon they will come out? Or shd I put some mysids in the tank so that they will have food the minute they are out? Will let u guys know once there's any development. Meanwhile, thanks for all the tips. It sure helps.

Wish me luck!

Posted: Nov 19, 2004 at 10: Post subject:

Octopuses have such a poignant circle of life...

Good luck sgoctopus!

Posted: Nov 19, 2004 at 11: Post subject:

Sorry that your octopus passed away. Hope things work out with the eggs!

Nancy

Eggs doing well ... I suppose

:jester:

Most of the eggs have turned transparent less their 2 eyes. A few of them have also started to sway. They have SURVIVED without their mum. I'm so excited, can't wait for them to hatch. There must be at least a 100 of them!!! Since they may eat up each other, is it adviseable to separate them once they hatch? (though I don't know how with so many of them!) And should I put in any food yet?

Will try to take a shot of the bunch of eggs and show you guys. Regret didn't take one on the mother carrying the eggs! :cry:

Re: Eggs doing well ... I suppose

sgoctopus said:
:jester:

Most of the eggs have turned transparent less their 2 eyes. A few of them have also started to sway. They have SURVIVED without their mum. I'm so excited, can't wait for them to hatch. There must be at least a 100 of them!!! Since they may eat up each other, is it adviseable to separate them once they hatch? (though I don't know how with so many of them!) And should I put in any food yet?

Will try to take a shot of the bunch of eggs and show you guys. Regret didn't take one on the mother carrying the eggs! :cry:

Sorry about Mum! One thing you can do to help is to get a turkey baster (or similar) and gently squirt water over the eggs to simulate mothers care. This will oxygenate the eggs and help keep them clean. Don't put food in until the first one hatches. Sure you can separate them but can you accomodate a hundred??? What you could do is set up plastic pipes that they could go into.

Cheers

J

They're coming ....

The eggs have developed further this morning. Most of them has started to have colour 'pigmentation' or sort. They start turning colours when there's light. How do I tell are they out of their eggs yet? They are still cuddling together in the same spot and in the same manner where their mum left them. But then again, they seem like individuals holding on to each other. So are they or are they not hatched??? By the way, what type of pipes should I use? Since they are so small, are straws more practical?

By the way, Jean, thanks for your advice. Really need them. Trying very hard not to lose any of them.

photo shots

Hi guys ... finally manage to get shots of the eggs, not too clear though. Not too clear though. I have used a manifying glass to look at them and they sure look like minature (with smaller arms) octopus clinging on to each other. But not too sure if they are considered hatched! :P

Will keep u guys informed once they start moving about!

When they have hatched they will be most likely swimming in the water column. Do you have anything else in the tank???? Fish....anemones.....crabs.....cos they may eat the hatchlings. Ideally you want no other animals in the tank!

Just a thought!

Cheers

J

I've put in a separation in the tank so the other fishes and overflow are kept to one side. The separation continues to allow water from the eggs area to flow over to the fish area. In the eggs area, I have added in an aeration outlet via a air stone to increase the airflow since their mother is no more around to help out. So just some minor changes to the tank as I did not want to disturb it too much. Hopefully it will be sufficient to keep the eggs growing.

Thanks for the advice guys, will work hard and keep you guys informed again soon.

As soon as those octis start hatching get rid of the airstone! The bubbles can get under the mantle and that's fatal. If you need extra aeration go for an airlift. I think Steve described how to make one in another post!

Cheers

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back