Octopus with branching arms

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
What would you do if you came across one of these??

Just a weird mutation that apparently pops up sometimes... anyone else come across images or reports of this? The one I know of best is from Sasaki (1929), from which I have included the photo and a bit of text. He also refers to two other reports, so I'll give the refs below.

Ikeda, S. 1800-1891. A list of Japanese Cephalopoda in the Zoological Institute of Imperial University. Zoological Magazine of Tokyo II, III.

Sasaki, M., 1929. A monograph of the dibranchiate cephalopods of the Japanese and adjacent waters. Journal of the Faculty of Agriculture, Hokkaido Imperial University 20 (Supplement 10): 357 pp.

Smith, E.A. 1900. Notes on an "Octopus" with Branching Arms. Annals and Magazine of Natural History 7(20): 407-411.

:cyclops:

[Edit - Re-attached the Sasaki figure (1929, Plate IV) in 2007, not sure what the other image was.]

Attachments

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
I've just redecorated this office in a sort of "Partially Digested Lunch" motif.

Kidding. That's really neat, :twisted:.

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
I know, kind of socks you in the gut the first time you see it, huh?
The Smith paper actually gives another reference:

'Furcation in the arms of Cephalopods appears to be a rare occurrence, judging from the few records of such abnormalities. C. Parona* has described and figured bifurcation in an arm of "Eledone moschata," an additional arm in E. Aldrovandi, and a bifurcate arm in "Octopus vulgaris." These are the only records I have been able to discover of such irregularities of growth.

*Boll. Mus. Zool. Anat. Comp. Genova, 1900 no. 96.'

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a photo. Smith gives a slightly more whimsical illustration but does appear to have been looking at the same phenomenon.

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Kat,

What do you think could cause this deformity? Is it a random mutation do you think, or are there more sinister forces at work here?

Phil

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Polydactyl octopus? Polydactypus? :cyclops: I don't know why this makes me happy. Do you think such an animal would lead a "normal" octo life? It doesn't look debilitated.

Melissa