Octopus vulgaris

petromir

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi together,

after I failed with tropical species from Asia (I reported here), I fianlly received an octopus vulgaris from Spain. And this one is healthy...just see for yourself. It`s now in a 55 gallon tank and will move to a 200 gallon in spring.

Take care!

Markus

Attachments

• conv_304585.avi
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
I am jealous! Beautiful animal and indeed appears healthy. Please keep an active journal as we only see a few vulgaris and don't have a journal for Mediteranean variety.

Hello,

This guy is really active and not nocturnal like the dwarfs. As I cleaned the glass today it came to inspect the magnet cleaner. One can now see how big the Octo is. I`m also amazed how it can change it`s skin, not only in color but also in shape. See for yourself.

Take care!

Attachments

• conv_298872.jpg
    conv_298872.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 199
If you leave the magnet in the tank (some people do, I know) we have seen two things occur. One the animal will pry it apart and you will hear it crash to the floor often or two, it will get an arm wedged. The first is somewhat humerous and at least one learned to call his food slave this way but the other can be damaging.

These are one of my favorite species. I won't likely ever keep one but my current animal is either a very, very large joubini (my guess) or a very, very small vulgaris. Her personality is vulgaris like, she is fiesty and an all time favorite.

Hello,

I`m keeping it at 21 degrees celsius.

Thanks for the advice I removed the magnet cleaner.

This guy behaves like a dog, begging for food all the time, very active and not shy at all.

Attached is an image of today!

Take care!

How often should one feed them? I`m thinking of 3 time a week...

Attachments

• conv_298878.jpg
    conv_298878.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 144
Feeding frequency has been discussed in numerous threads with varying suggestions. Roy and JoeCeph feel that, for the cold water species, bimaculoides, minimizing frequency to two or three times a week extends their lifespan. We offer food dailh, especially when they are young, and fast them once a week. My bimac is only interested in food about every other day now that he is adult. My joubini paces at feeding time daily and gives you a saltwater bath if you are late. She does not like fast days at all and sometimes gets something small because she is obviously hungry.

You may want to lower you temperature. Check the temps of where it was caught and keep to the lower end of the warm (summer) temperatures as you high as this should help with longevity.

Hi,

the octo is still ok, but I believe the octo is bored...when I enter the fish room it immedantely comes to the front glass bagging for food or at least some attention...any idea if a toy could help? What about the trick opening containers? I will make another short video shortly.

Thanks

Markus

Attachments

• conv_298906.jpg
    conv_298906.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 164
Hello together,

the octo behaves totally different to the dwarfs I kept (for a a short period...) so far: It is active, also during the day, comes immedantely to the front when I enter the room and plays with food like a cat. A wonderful animal. It also catches life ghost shrimps with the skin between its arms. Very interesting to watch. The octo acts like a a net. Attached is a new vid. I will report agin shortly.

Thanks

Markus

Attachments

• conv_298909.avi
    735.8 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_298910.avi
    735.8 KB · Views: 96
Hi,

yesterday I realized that he has on one arm, at the end, what looks like a white ring of about 5mm. On this part of his arm are no suckers and it`s thinner like the rest and just white. I will try to make an image. Any idea what this is? Illness, injury or a defect?

Thanks

Markus

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back