• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus vulgaris care?

So a LFS has just received a Caribbean shipment that includes several Octopi. I have not seen them yet but apparently the supplier is "very accurate" with species and they are labeled : "Caribbean Octopus - Octopus vulgaris" So this would make them common octopus correct?

Apparently 2 are 3" arm to arm and the other is 6-7" across.

I'm going to try and go check them out tomorrow but might not be able to until friday. Is there a care sheet for these guys? Is a 90 gallon tank big enough? What are their temperature requirements?

thanks

Hmmm, Accurate supplier...I think that would be a first, LOL.

Try and take some pictures of them them maybe we can ID them.

Vulgaris is the largest of the species kept in the home aquarium and they require a Large Tank. 90 will be too small. The Caribbean Vulgaris can grow to a Mantle length of 8" (20cm )and an arm length of 32"(80cm), that is spread of over 5 feet.

If they truely are O. Vulgaris than a 90 gallon tank will be pretty cramped once those animals reach full adult hood. Vulgaris are often refered to as 'Common Octopus' being that various species from all over the globe have similar but varying traits that connect them under the O. Vulgaris or common octopus umbrella. You can get more information of some of these diferent O. Vulgaris from the book Cephalopods of the World. The species found in the Mediteranean is agreed to be the 'true' O. Vulgaris or common octopus and the Caribbean species being most closely related to the Mediteranean.

What other caribbean species are there? I looked around on TOMNO but is there no central list that has all species and their care requirements? I guess if it actually is Vulgaris they will have to stay in the store...

I know you mentioned the book, but I don't really have time to track it down. Is there an online list I could browse through and see pictures, size and hopefully temp requirements?

Here is a picture from a previous shipment from the same supplier. I assume the new octos are the same. I hope to get actual photos tomorrow. What species is this
SUMOct.jpg

O. hummelincki/filosus is often mistaken for O. vulgaris when caught in the Caribbean. I am not sure that the photo is of a Caribbean species though. Just from the slimness of the mantle and arm length I would guess Indonesian but I am not the best guesser in the ID game.

We are pretty sure el Diablo is a Caribbean vulgaris (and the only one we have confidence in lableing). They can look like the large O. hummelincki (or visa versa - the hummelincki can show more variety) but get much larger and have a longer arm to mantle ratio. Hummelincki can be identified by the two eye spots (most of the time) just under the true eyes. The eye spot will look much like a bulls eye with a blue center and a yellow outer ring (when it is not showing color, sometimes you can still see it as shades of yellow/gold but other times you will not see it at all). Unfortunately, hummelincki is a bit of an oddity and, other than the eye spots and mantle to arm ratio, there are largely conflicting sizes (all would do well in a 90 though). The arm ratio, however, can be examined. O.hummelincki will have a mantle to arm ratio of about 1:2.5 where vulgaris will be roughly 1:4. With my briareus hatchlings, they obtained adult mantle:arm proportions at about 4 months since both hummelicki and vulgaris are small egg species, it may take longer to reach adult proportions. Both the larger hummelincki and vulgaris are robust animals with relatively thick mantles where the Indonesian animals tend to be more delicate looking. The eyes don't sit up on tall stalks for these two Caribbean animals.

For journals and photos of our best guess on species, look at the top of the Journals and Photos forum. You will see posts entitled List of Our Octopuses 20xx. The lists contain the name identified species and the name of the keeper. From 2008 through the current list there are links back to the journals.

Here you can see a couple of shots of Octane that show the odd taper of the arms, the eyespot and the arm to mantle ratio that is typical of the larger of this group.

Andrew,
I just looked at the photo from this post (trying to find a quote to taunt you :sagrin:) and I think the picture is of the same unknown (to me) species as Monty. The arm proportions, color, three bumps at the bottom of the eye and the pecular way it makes bumps on its skin all match with characteristics I have seen in Monty. Now, what the heck IS it?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back