Octopus Tetricus (Gloomy Octopus) Gould, 1852

Discussion in 'Octopodidae' started by DWhatley, Aug 10, 2014.

1. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Body Size, Growth and Life Span: Implications for the Polewards Range Shift of Octopus tetricus in South-Eastern Australia
    Jorge E. Ramos, Gretta T. Pecl, Natalie A. Moltschaniwskyj, Jan M. Strugnell, Rafael I. León, Jayson M. Semmens 2014 (full article)

2. haggs

haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

D, after watching the growth of local octopus (O tetricus) around here the 11 months mentioned would seem to be close to true. Those that I have watched grow, seem to mature rather quickly as in 8 months before they move out of the smaller rock pools. Those that I have seen not in rock pools tend to be larger mature octo's, I'm assuming they then move out and mate, and start the cycle over again.

DWhatley likes this.
  3. DWhatley

I found the lifespan unexpected for the size. Our all warm water animals of that size usually live over a year, only the dwarfs are known for 8-10 months (several of mine born in captivity lived over 12 but not all but 10 months was an average).

4. DWhatley

Will Climate Change Bring an Invasion of the Octopuses—Or Halt It?
    By Katherine Harmon Courage | September 5, 2014 |

Katherine Harmon summarized the expansion of the Gloomy octopus @haggs, note her comment about the importance to fisheries. I wonder if there is a large export to Asian countries that is not locally known.

5. DWhatley

Sydney octopuses heading south as Tasmanian waters warm

An oddity in this article mentions that the long-spine urchin is negative to the environment where its disappearance in the Caribbean has been detrimental to reefs.

6. DWhatley

Genetic evidence extends the known distribution of Octopus insularis to the mid-Atlantic islands Ascension and St Helena
    Michael D. Amora, Vladimir Laptikhovsky, Mark D. Norman, Jan M. Strugnell 2015 (subscription)

Interesting to note that Octopus Tetricus (Gloomy) is more closely related to O. vulgaris than O. bimaculoides/bimaculatus as I have often wondered if bimacs were a close relative.(DWhatley)

7. DWhatley

Innovative development of the Octopus (cf) tetricus fishery in Western Australia
    FRDC Project No 2010/200 Anthony. M. Hart, Stephen. C. Leporati, Ross. J. Marriott and Dave Murphy 2016 (pdf)