• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Tank Clean Up Crew

What do you guys and gals use for a clean up crew? I know that hermits will be eaten, but what about snails? Large ones, such as mexican turbos? Or does it depend on the species of octopus? I migh have sold an octopus, so when I get it in, I can see if it is a bimac. If it's not, then (if the buyer doesn't mind of course) I will take a picture, and see if you guys can identify it. I figure that the wholesaler should have a lot in right now, since (i've read) March is prime breeding season. Can someone look at my tank plan in Tank Talk, and give me some suggestions, or comments? Thank you! I love this forum! No flaming, and it's small, so everyone knows everyone.

Brock

At some point your octo may eat any of the clean up crew, including turbo snails. Just put a mixed bunch in. If the snails and hermits disappear, replace them and after your octo grows a bit, it will leave them alone. It will learn to prefer larger crabs and may lose its tase for snails.

Nancy

Will an octopus overeat? If you just keep the tank stocked full of snails and crabs, will the octopus eat more than it should to be healthy, or is it safe just to keep a bunch of them in there?

No, an octopus won't overeat. He may eat some of those insted of what you're trying to offer, though. A very young octo will look for amphipods in the tank, too.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back