Octopus - SmartyPants???

nyoctopuslady

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Tonmo - you are so smart with all these facts. Is it true that an octopus is smarter than a dog or a cat??? :twisted: :shock: :bugout:

NickA5582

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
I read in one of the old threads that octos are the 9th smartest creature on Earth; ahead of squirrels but not as "smart" as dogs or cats, who just sit around, lick themselves, and sleep all day.

Burstsovenergy24

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
Yes it is true octopuses are generally smarter than dogs (and cats, how could they say a cat is smarter than an octopus? :shock: :roll: ). Nick's line on dogs and cats is absolutely correct. :twisted:

um...

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Someone should arrange for a game of chess to be played between a dog or cat and an octopus. Who would demonstrate superior strategic thinking?

NickA5582

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
The dog would, some can be smart but most are idiots. Or it would eat the octopus.

Melissa

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Registered
Reaction score
NickA5582 said:
I read in one of the old threads that octos are the 9th smartest creature on Earth; ahead of squirrels but not as "smart" as dogs or cats, who just sit around, lick themselves, and sleep all day.
Some days, sitting around and sleeping seems like the smartest thing anyone could do. I know my cat will never be as good at problem solving as any cephalopod. There's no problem she can't sleep through.

Melissa

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether this is true or how they proved it but from a docu it said they're about as smart as a dog, no mention of cats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PortiaMCcollom

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards