Octopus sleeping out in the open?

So my new octo Severus is a briareus(i think) and besides a few hours the first night, he always seems to wanto sleep on top of the rocks, out in the open. I just find this weird because i'm seeing from most ppl that there octo's will den up for days upon entering the tank, wont eat and such annd will sleep hidden away from everyone during the day. Severus ate well the 2nd day, and today being his 3rd he's again sleeping out in the open, on top of a rock at the darker side of the tank(or sometimes in a blck coffee mug i put in, but it faces the light right at the front of the tank, he doesnt seem to mind this either. He has plenty of pvc piping, but he hangs out in there more when hes awake and having a shy moment. Is this normal, and healthy behavior?

Post some pictures so we can tell if it is a carribien reef octopus, considering that your octopus is eating well that's a good sign that he's healthy. You sure he's not awake? It's worth mentioning that they're night hunters.

It's worth mentioning that they're night hunters.
Briareus is actually a crepescular species, hunts at dawn and dusk, twilght.

Being out all the time is not really normal if it were an octo that you had for awhile, but being a octo new to its surroundings i would say its just still acclimating to his new environment. as cuddly mentioned the fact that he is eating is a good sign. When octopuses go into sensence some will stay out all the time but they will usually stop eating. I have had a few Aculeatus exhibit the same behavior when they were introduced into the tank, but they eventually did find a den.

how bog is it? Does it seem colorful or is it pale? pics would great!

He is about 2 1/2 to 3" mantle sie. I believe he was just perched up there napping, after about 2 hours he started moving around. He accepted crabs from me again as well, this time taking them into the pvc piping and hiding. I'm wondering if maybe i should put even more stuff in there, but afraid of overcrowding because its only about 55 gal. Also, im spending a small fortune on emerald crabs from petco and other LFS. anyone tell me of a good cheap site to get crabs? And as far as light is concerned, whens the best time to start his "daylight" cycle, for how long etc. I'm gunna get a red or green lightbulb for night viewing, but im just wondering on how everyone else is doing it so i can see him as much as possible. I'm a college student so i'm up early and in bed late. To be honest this is the first Octo i've been able to keep healthy and alive, so any help besides the obvious would be greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics, sorry all i have is my iphone so theyre quite awful. These were also taken the first day and i didnt want to stress the little guy too much.

Attachments

• conv_298827.jpg
    conv_298827.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
  • conv_298828.jpg
    conv_298828.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
  • conv_298829.jpg
    conv_298829.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 140
And sorry but to answer your questions captfish he is very colorful, when i'm around the tank or cleaning he'll flash wild colors, instantly blend into the background rock, and his mantle is full of the beautiful blue specks that make me think he's briareus. (also because of his large sie)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back