• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus sick - arm decay???

I`m also surprised that Antennarius sp. could be venomous, I never heard of that before.

Reg. the octo, it`s nor problem for me to set up al larger tank, currently I have 5 saltwater tanks running and can easily add another one in my cellar. If I would set up a 50+ what tropical octos would be suitable. As mentioned here in Europe we have no access to the ones you keep in the US. The only one not from tropical watres would be o. vulgaris from the Mediterranean which will grow real big.

Thanks, and I will keep you posted.

Markus

Any tropical octo would be fine for a 50g+ as far as I know. Indonesian or Macropus seem like the best bet from your list, though whatever you get could be misidentified. I've found the best bet is to order whatever they can get tropical wise and identify it once it's at the LFS.

if im correct, there are some very much keepable octos labeled as "indonesian". i think these are usually abdophus spp. and i think the biggest in that group is aculeatus, which needs 55 or so gallons.
devi, o briareus is tropical and it needs 65 doesnt it?

devi;180864 said:
I had been told by the LFS that some are venomous, not that I'd 100% trust them, and google brought me this - Striated Anglerfish
May not be true tbh so I'll believe your experience.

That is the only link I can find that says they are venomous. Everyone else at work has not ever heard of them being venomous either.

ieatfalalfel;180867 said:
if im correct, there are some very much keepable octos labeled as "indonesian". i think these are usually abdophus spp. and i think the biggest in that group is aculeatus, which needs 55 or so gallons.
devi, o briareus is tropical and it needs 65 doesnt it?

O.Briareus comes from the carribean and thus not available to europe. The OP was asking about those available to him/her.

ETA - US gallons are different to the gallons that we use, 55g in US is 45g in ours. So 50g+ is more than 55g US.

I was thinking on of possibilities of issues after death like problems with some (definitely not all ) cucumbers and (from what I have read, not experienced) puffer fish. There are likely several that could be problematic but the larger guys are kept in lager tanks so the water would be less effected. If there is no known slime coat issues, any potential problem would likely be handled with heavy water changes and charcoal. The death itself does not puzzle me but the attached arm that seemed to be lifeless is an interesting twist that has me making pondering on possibilities. Was the affected arm swollen? Photos are always a good idea when something seems amiss.

Every now and again we see O.briareus show up in Europe but I don't know how they get there.

The arm was not swollen, but was just white and not moving. As I said it just looked dead but not rotten or so. The octo didn`t use it and also didn`t bite it off. Two other arms missed the first few milimeters. Sorry, no more images as I had to remove the octo from tha tank. Once the new tank is ready I will let you know. If any has a good source for octos in Europe I would appreciate it. Also, the big importes like De Jong and Co just have octopus sp. or octopus macropus in stock.

Thanks!

Octopus sp is what I had to order, it's usually possible to find out where they were caught roughly, I was told mine was caught roughly in the area of Indonesia.
In my experience none of the importers we get in europe know much about octopus and even when they get bought in as a specific species, they may be something completely different.

petromir;180956 said:
The arm was not swollen, but was just white and not moving. As I said it just looked dead but not rotten or so. The octo didn`t use it and also didn`t bite it off. Two other arms missed the first few milimeters. Sorry, no more images as I had to remove the octo from tha tank.

Sounds like senescence combined with predation by the crab. Somewhere I have pics of a hermit crab eating a live octopus arm and the octo not caring or moving away.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back