Octopus sculpture

DrBatty

GPO
Registered
I sculpted this awhile back...have been toying with the idea of learning how to cast it and selling the duplicates.
I thought I'd at least share with everyone....but I'm curious to know if anyone would be interested in one?

Attachments

• conv_302796.jpg
    conv_302796.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 203
  • conv_302797.jpg
    conv_302797.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 165
  • conv_302798.jpg
    conv_302798.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 135
Very very nice sculpture! I'd be interested - but you haven't said what medium you'd produce the dupes in. The difference in a plaster duplicate, and a bronze is quite a bit.

Another thing is - from what I know about casting (the knowledge I have would not even fill a thimble), you might have a hard time with the suspended legs. I think each of those would need its own mold whereas if you sculpted an octopus just on a rock, you would need just a two-piece mold. However, your sculpture is a lot more dynamic and more interesting than one just sitting on a rock.

Good luck and let me know if you do decide to cast it and make dupes.

Sharon

Yeah, I know the mold part is going to be a real pain in the ass.
I am not sure about what medium I'd like to reproduce the sculpture in - I think I will probably decide later on when I have a better idea which medium would be the best to reproduce in. Of course, the higher quality the better. I'll be sure to keep you posted! Great to see a fellow Oaklander on here! :biggrin2:

Brock Fluharty;81625 said:
I would be very interested in a normal sized one, then maybe a miniature octo swimming or something cast in silver. or just an octo lying on "nothing".

I am working with an expert moldmaker right now on how we're gonna cast this guy I worked on. I am REALLY interested in doing some other sculpts in the near future...am working on a forensic one right now, but I'll be back to the artsy stuff soon. I don't know how feasible it would be for me to cast it in metal....i'm sure it's possible, but I by no means have a way to do that myself, so the cost of it would surely be higher. I'll keep you posted. If you're interested in a specific image duplication or you have an idea already, let me know! I'm always looking for new projects to work on!

I was just thinking of an octo, sitting on the ground (but without the grond in the sculpture) and all tentacles curled one way, looking like a "wave". For a metal one, I was only thinking maybe a 1" sculpture, which I don't think would cost much. or whatever you have available to mold it in.

make a foam mold covering the whole thing. then you cut the mold like a pie so that each leg and part of the body is in its own foam mold. then make the peices in each mold then put them together and fill the seams. try looking up "pete's pub" in little harbor, abacos in the bahamas. the guy does bronze sculptures of all sorts of stuff including sea life. ive even seen him do octos before. and he also uses molds of wax. try looking him up and you may even be able to get in touch with him to find a solution

joefish84;82729 said:
make a foam mold covering the whole thing. then you cut the mold like a pie so that each leg and part of the body is in its own foam mold. then make the peices in each mold then put them together and fill the seams. try looking up "pete's pub" in little harbor, abacos in the bahamas. the guy does bronze sculptures of all sorts of stuff including sea life. ive even seen him do octos before. and he also uses molds of wax. try looking him up and you may even be able to get in touch with him to find a solution

Thanks, I'll definitely check his work out! I'm already working with a moldmaker/sculptor from Industrial Light and Magic....He seems to already have a solution for it and is already rather involved - i'd hate to start over again. I'll probably be casting it within the next few weeks.

Brock Fluharty;81638 said:
I was just thinking of an octo, sitting on the ground (but without the grond in the sculpture) and all tentacles curled one way, looking like a "wave". For a metal one, I was only thinking maybe a 1" sculpture, which I don't think would cost much. or whatever you have available to mold it in.

I'm still a newbie with the casting, so I think I'd just be happy to make another successful octopus....my skills have gotten better since making this one [it's about 4.5 years old]....so I'll try a free-standing one next time and we'll take it from there. :smile:

Animal Mother;81635 said:
Wow dude, you are very talented! I would love to have something like that on an end table in my living room. Incredible.

Thanks!!!!! I really appreciate it. :biggrin2:

I would get that to a pottery house pronto. Ive seen the castings of completley original piecs got for aroun $300......usually more. Thats a really nice piece. I would contact a resource that can mass produce them...or at least get some made to test the market. You have talent.:cool2:

Edit:
I would like one.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back