Octopus rubescens in CA

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Superlow tide yesterday = super fun. Found an occy towards the end of the day on the tidal flat walking around in a more upright stance than I would have expected.

http://stickycricket.com/CAS/octopus_rubescens/Octopus_rubescens.mov

20100130-P1300960.jpg

I was about to ask if that was an O.rubescens when I saw the video name. Unfortunately, I can't get to the video but will try again later.

I could not play it at all with IE but with FireFox, it asked for download permission. Once I downloaded it, I could play it with QuickTime.

It just looks so strange to see an octopus wandering out of the water. It makes me wonder if I have missed seeing this through lack of observation or if the Caribbean species are less prone to tidal pool trolling.

Where were you when you saw them? I saw a bunch scuba diving in Monterey. I couldn't see any false eyes on the ones I saw, so I was suspecting they were O. Rubescens.

There seems to be a plague of O. rubescens out there right now. Last week our Invertebrate Zoology class saw 8 large adults in an hour including 5 under one large rock. What is surprising is that they were tidepooling at Marina Green.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back