Octopus rubescens in CA | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Octopus rubescens in CA

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
I was about to ask if that was an O.rubescens when I saw the video name. Unfortunately, I can't get to the video but will try again later.

I could not play it at all with IE but with FireFox, it asked for download permission. Once I downloaded it, I could play it with QuickTime.

It just looks so strange to see an octopus wandering out of the water. It makes me wonder if I have missed seeing this through lack of observation or if the Caribbean species are less prone to tidal pool trolling.

Jabba954

GPO
Registered
Where were you when you saw them? I saw a bunch scuba diving in Monterey. I couldn't see any false eyes on the ones I saw, so I was suspecting they were O. Rubescens.

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
There seems to be a plague of O. rubescens out there right now. Last week our Invertebrate Zoology class saw 8 large adults in an hour including 5 under one large rock. What is surprising is that they were tidepooling at Marina Green.

Roy

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards