Octopus research on the science channel tonight

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
David Edelman emailed to point out that some of his behavioral research on octopuses in Italy is featured on "Aliens of the Deep" on the Science Channel at 9pm. It apparently was on at 6pm as well; I just caught the end of it and was very impressed. It's apparently also at 12am Weds (I'm not sure if that means midnight tonight or tomorrow night)

http://science.discovery.com/tv-schedules/special.html?paid=48.15713.128166.0.0

The part I saw has maze experiments, octos living in groups, and maybe octos showing observational learning. Good stuff!

Hi, Monty and other Tonmo folks.

Sorry I didn't give a heads-up on Tonmo about 'Deep Sea Aliens' on the Science Channel; it's being shown again tonight at 12am PST and, I think, at 4am later in the week.

In any case, the two directors/videographers are Jerome Julienne and John Jackson, who worked as cinematographers for Jacques Cousteau for nearly 25 years before going independent. Overall, they did a nice job of filming and capturing the breadth (and some depth) of the research they set out to present. Our segment was shot last July.

My only 'cringe' moments came with the repeated use of 'octopi,' instead of 'octopuses,' and the narrator's claim (did you catch it?) that the the giant Pacific octopus '...is the largest cephalopod,' or something along those lines (arrgghhh!!! colossal squid? Hello!?!!). The only other regret I had was that the segments that were shot of our stimulus-via-video projection system in action (we were officially scooped by Pronk et al. in JEB--but stay tuned; more to follow) ended up on the 'cutting room floor.' Oh well...c'est la vie.

Anyway, rant aside, I really did enjoy working with Jerome and John, and thought that they were genuinely trying to do justice to the research they were documenting. And, again, very sorry I forgot to post about this on Tonmo.

Dave,
Welcome to Tonmo!

Do you know if it will be available on-line or via DVD? Unfortunately, we no longer have access to the science channel but I would really like to see the special.

@DWhatley: Thanks! Sorry you don't have access to the Science Channel anymore (that's the big problem with Discovery more-or-less splitting into three different channels, and with the weird, haphazard nature of cable and satellite offerings these days). In any case, there should be a DVD at some point. I'll see what I can find out, and post the info. on Tonmo ASAP.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back