Octopus raised in captivity - FIS

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
I was more interested in learning their's :biggrin2: and wishing someone would suggest a side-line to the pet industry (Maya, are likely too large though).

I would like to setup a company for aquaculturing, when I graduate. In my dream world, I want an aquaculture business that supports my own research, possibly in octo genetics, that's my current interest. My plan is to start fairly small scale, and most likely I would start off culturing a much simpler species, like shrimp, get some cash flow going then slowly easy into culturing octopuses for consumption, research, and the aquarium trade.

I would love to see some of these animals make it into the aquarium trade. Not many have a large enough tank for them, but those that do it would be awesome. I would like to see how they compare to O. h
Hummelincki.

CaptFish,
Why not start a small scale shrimp business now? I am not sure how bad the license fees are but you would have a built-in consumer group for whatever and whenever you could produce enough for sale and get a good idea on what you would need for an actual money making business later.

Why not start a small scale shrimp business now?
i thought about it. i have even looked at warehouses already. I have looked three sizes 5000 sqft, 7000 sqft and 10000 sqft and about a dozen different locations . i almost got one that is 5000sqft, its perfect! brand new facility with climate control, 30' ceilings, and its about 30 seconds from my house; but in truth I'm swamped with school right now. i have a pretty aggressive schedule and I am now working for dual disciplines/degrees.
1. AA Biology-> BA Marine Biology->MSC aquaculture
2. AA Engineering -> BA Ocean Engineering.

With your background I suspect the second will get used and be worth the effort.

Yeah I have an itch to continue the family tradition of building submarines/ROVs. i dont want to go into it as a business like my father and grandfather but more like a hobby build, perhaps something I can use in my own adventures. i also think the engineering will be useful when it come to designing and constructed my aquaculture systems.

I have a design for and underwater observation house similar too what my family has built in the past but with a few design changes and upgrades. Construction cost would be astronomical so its not something I'm going to work on anytime soon, but maybe one day I'll be able to fund it's construction.

What is your time frame on completing the BA's?

I'm not exactly sure. I'm just taking everything as it comes, one bite at a time. I'm averaging 12-16 credits per semester. i should have my AAs by next august. then it should be another two years, maybe a little less as i am taking a few accelerated classes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back