• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus-proofing my tank

blake1444

Cuttlefish
Registered
So I've had my tank cycling for over six months now and am getting ready to pulling the trigger on my octopus. I have glass lids for the tops, but am looking for the best way to secure them (I've read duct tape, heavy objects). I also have a power head and overflow I'm looking to secure. I'm including pictures. Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.

Attachments

• conv_305390.jpg
    conv_305390.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 165
  • conv_305391.jpg
    conv_305391.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 157
  • conv_305392.jpg
    conv_305392.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 138
i have a hood on my tank that covers the edges of the glass and i use duct tape along the plastic in the back and the center brace.
i was thinking of useing heavy duty velcro(plastic hook and loop no cloth like fibers) along the center brace holding a peice of acrylic down over the edges of the glass top, if thats not strong enuf ill install some nylon bolts coming up through the center brace and drill holes in the acrylic peice that holds the glass down and use a few wing nuts to hold it down, in this case i would also glue a peice of acrylic into the bottom of the center brace for reinforcment.

blake1444;194610 said:
Great. What about the lids? Are there any clamps available or is it best to just weigh them down?
A heavy weight works perfectly in theory, and also in practice, but only if you remember to put the weight back on every time you open the tank. I'm sure some people never forget to put the weight back, maybe most people, but I am not one of them. I learned the hard way, keeping snakes, that if securing the lid requires more than simply closing the lid, then I will eventually not do it ("Just this once"), and have an escape. I built a latch, out of acrylic rod, that latches when I close the lid. It's a little ugly if not covered by a canopy, but not very hard to build if you get the right acrylic parts. If you need to attach acrylic to glass, then "E-6000 Adhesive" is supposed to work well for that.

If you look at my post about my top build, remember that you don't need to build a fancy acrylic top like I did (I wanted mine double-paned to insulate a chilled bimac tank, and to keep the acrylic from bowing), you can just use the latch design with your glass top, and permanently secure the part of your top that doesn't move with a weight, or any way you like.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back