• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus Proofing a Red Sea Max 250

When you mean worry what should I look for or expect? Only fear I have is a bite, hence why having a second person on standby.

I was thinking on doing things in the tank daily. Like moving small rocks, shells, etc. Scraping the algae off with magnetic scrapper, etc Just so they get used to me from day one, and see I'm not actually going near them.

Do you think they would still be over territorial? I wouldn't go near the actual den or around the den. Just to get leftover food pieces shells, etc...

Biting or protecting their homes is not a concern with the mercs. They are very shy and don't come out much at all during the day or with white tank lights on. Most won't interact but some are never seen, others will permit you to watch them (Sleazy was like this) and on a very rare occassion you will see one like Sisturus that will interact and comes out for dinner nightly. They are quite different from the other species we see and I am worried you are expecting much more interaction and observation than is typical of this species.

I'm usually up all night. The meds I'm on keep me awake. I sleep maybe 4 hours a day. So if it's a nocturnal or diurnal I'll be able to interact with them after a few months.

By interacting I'm meaning feeding, and hopefully just sitting in there watching them explore. I would be too afraid to stick my hand in the tank like you do. Maybe after my first few Octo's or Cuttles to break me in.

I can :read: as much as I can possibly find online (mostly in here) like I normally do every night, but having one in my care with the hands on experience is where it's at. Learning how each one has their own personality, attitude, etc.

Again I'm too chicken to put my hands in the tank yet, but so excited to be able to sit near the tank and watch them come out to eat, explore, etc. The first interaction is going to be priceless to me.

LOL, the first interaction remains a notable moment, no matter how many you have kept but I wanted you to understand that it will not be active like the ones currently being kept. Your hours will definitely be an advantage but I was not working with my first merc and fell asleep for weeks in front of the tank just to get a glimpse. Ultimately she came to the front to brood and I could see her daily but that was after 4 months of barely seeing her.

I understand your point completely.

I plan on sitting in my chair, posting and reading :read: on here, like I do every night. I figure after a few months of doing the same routine over and over, in the same spot, I just might :fingerscrossed: see a glimpse of them sitting there looking :shock: back at me. Maybe a trust issue that "The big monster :twisted: just sits there like a vegetable in front of her laptop, she's not scary at all!" :lol:

But even if I don't see them very often other then feeding time, I still think it would be worth it.

I'm actually thinking on getting a video camera next so I can turn on the night vision and sit and wait to see them come out. From across the room of coarse, hooked up to my tv. Wonder if you could actually view on it without recording like you can with some digital cameras. My Olympus does that.

Just a thought.

I'm wanting to test the tank parameters again, but I know it prob hasn't changed. I'll wait a full week before I do. Think every 4 days is to soon? Just wanting to catch that spike when it happens.

Wow great photos and videos! Not sure if my Olympus has a night setting or not. Prob not But I'll read through the manual tomorrow.

Any idea where I can find that red vellum? Lowe's and Home depot just look at me like I'm stupid. I found some small notebook sized pieces a while back on eBay, but nothing any larger. I may just have to order a bunch of the little pieces and then glue them together somehow.

Called the high school about the cutting the Plexi glass, and they can't fit it in with all their other projects, so time to research how to cut it correctly and carefully so I don't damage a $50 Piece of plastic lol.

Still can't find any decent screen to tinker with the vent. Everything is too small. But still searching. I know you said the vent will be fine with a light, but just making sure. Can never be too careful.

When you cut your plexiglass SAND ALL cut edges! You don't have to spend hours on this (but you can) but you will cut wiring and hands if you don't at least round off the cut edges. Be careful not to sand on the part you are viewing. I usually put a piece of sand paper on a hard flat surface and "scrape" the cut edges several times then hand sand with a smaller piece of sand paper. The initial "scraping" will help keep from slicing up your fingers while you finish sand the rest. Freshly cut acrylic is very sharp (we lost a pump with a cut cord and darn near got a major shock learning this the hard way. Fortunately, it happened during a preassembly and there were no animals destroyed).

I found some high temperature vellum on eBay (but could not find any tonight) but it was still only 8.5 x 11. You might have a look at the automotive stores as they used to sell something similar for temporary taillight replacement.

I found some red tape that covers the taillights, but no big sheets of it. I've looked every where. Crafts stores, Walmart, Kmart, auto part stores, even the little Mom and pop shops.

Hmm maybe I should just get some of eBay and just piece them together and tape them on the top? I'm trying to make the setup as clean as possible, so it's as nice to look at outside as well as inside.

Found an auction for 100 of them for $28.
http://cgi.ebay.com/100-red-translu...d=link&campid=5338967513&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I plan on sanding the edges and also putting something around it as well. Like plastic framing. I'm prob known well at Lowe's now.

"Oh god here comes that weird Cephalopod lady RUN! HIDE!" lol

I find all kinds of creative ideas in there.

Who says Diamonds are a girls best friend? Just give me a Lowe's gift card I'm happy! :smile:

I can't find Red Vellum big enough for what I need. :mad: Only 8"x11" pieces and I want a nice clean look.

I need a piece that is 1/8" x 16" x 37" To have it cut special for the front of the RSM 250.

I found a site that is better then me trying to find Red Vellum.

http://www.red-plastic.com/

They have different colors, transparent or not, and different materials.

THEY EVEN DO CUSTOM CUT PIECES! :biggrin2:

Decent shipping prices as well. My piece is $41.54 with shipping. Cheaper then the $48 for the Plexi-glass piece I would get from Lowe's, not to mention the price of the vellum if I was to ever find it.

I'll prob have to round the edges myself. But so much easier then me cutting Plexi-glass and then putting red Vellum on top of that.

Putting my shopping list together now. :sagrin:

April 7th my son Graduates from the Army. After we come back, it's time to break the Tank Bank. :octocash:

The red plexiglass seems like a good idea. The the most opaque (without being opaque) they have is likely the best choice. I don't know if you will have room for a frame but do sand the edges if they are exposed.

Have fun at your son's boot camp graduation. Paris Island?

In the Movie business we used "Gels" to color the lights. The product is made by a few people but Lee Filters, is the most common.
If you have a local camera shop that services to professionals they may carry the "Lighting gels" or they should know who does carry it locally. They may have some but I probable not red. the common color are for correction which are amber and blue. It is on the internet but it seem very expensive on there, double what I remember.

these are red 12"x20" for about $7.00
LEE Filters 21 x 24" CL26 Gel Filter Sheet - Bright Red
other colors:
Lee Filters - Filmtools

or you buy a whole role. which will last a life time.
A roll of red is over $100
LEE Filters 46" x 13' CL26 Gel Roll - Bright Red (High Temperature)
other colors:
http://www.filmtools.com/leefilterrolls.html

:bugout: Lots of brown gooey gunk. :bugout:

Attachments

• conv_298064.jpg
    conv_298064.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 125
Lots of brown gooey gunk
That is standard. Some say its means your tank is cycling well, but I'm not sure that is true. regardless it is normal and to be expected. It should wipe off the glass very easily. If it is on the sand then just disturb the sand just enough for it to go away. Snails do a good job with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back