Octopus playing with a ball?

Anne Carkeet

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,

I'm producing a feature documentary about play and the ball, and I wondered if anyone in the TONMO community has filmed footage of their octopus playing with a ball. The behavior needs to be beyond object exploration: an extended play session. If you'd like to share some footage, I'd love to take a look. I'm happy to answer any questions.
Thanks,
Anne Carkeet
Producer, www.bouncethemovie.com

I can only think of a few photos and no video that show clear play and none using a ball. The best I can recall are a few of Carol's posts with the giant lego, Linda's post with a seahorse, Animal_Mother's description of stealing a baster top and my own with a floating ice cube. I did not dig them up since the topic is specifically centered around an object that would look like a ball.

YouTube video of Mama Cass with ball said:
This is great. I'm producing a documentary about play and the ball and I have been searching for octopus play footage. I'd love to know if you've filmed any extended ball play, as observed by Dr. Jennifer Mather.
Thanks
Anne
Anne, I thought about our experiments with this toy when you requested play but didn't feel it qualified, mainly because there was no real interest (we experimented with several octos over time and even put food inside). The closest thing I can remember would be a plastic ice cube.
Here is a video of KaySoh: [Octopus]: - KaySoh - O. briareus

and a few stills of SueNami: SueNami - O. briareus and
SueNami - O. briareus

The second post of SueNami includes a video (now on YouTube with an update to the post) but I am afraid the cube shape does not quite fit your for your ball topic.

Last edited:
...I also forgot to mention the "Octopus Play Time" photo album I put up on Facebook a year or two ago...
Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. The videos and photo album are wonderful to see, but as you said, not quite what we're looking for. I really appreciate it and will be sure to share anything I am able to dig up. Happy Holidays to you and your octopuses.
Best,
Anne

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back