Octopus playing with a ball?

Discussion in 'Behavior and Intelligence' started by Anne Carkeet, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Anne Carkeet

Anne Carkeet Larval Mass Registered

Hello,

I'm producing a feature documentary about play and the ball, and I wondered if anyone in the TONMO community has filmed footage of their octopus playing with a ball. The behavior needs to be beyond object exploration: an extended play session. If you'd like to share some footage, I'd love to take a look. I'm happy to answer any questions.
    Thanks,
    Anne Carkeet
    Producer, www.bouncethemovie.com

tonmo likes this.
  2. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Cool! Hope somewhere here can help.

3. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Any leads?

Greg

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I can only think of a few photos and no video that show clear play and none using a ball. The best I can recall are a few of Carol's posts with the giant lego, Linda's post with a seahorse, Animal_Mother's description of stealing a baster top and my own with a floating ice cube. I did not dig them up since the topic is specifically centered around an object that would look like a ball.

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Anne, I thought about our experiments with this toy when you requested play but didn't feel it qualified, mainly because there was no real interest (we experimented with several octos over time and even put food inside). The closest thing I can remember would be a plastic ice cube.
    Here is a video of KaySoh: http://www.tonmo.com/community/threads/kaysoh-o-briareus.11389/page-2#post-141879

and a few stills of SueNami: http://www.tonmo.com/community/threads/suenami-o-briareus.10691/page-2#post-133475 and
    http://www.tonmo.com/community/threads/suenami-o-briareus.10691/page-2

The second post of SueNami includes a video (now on YouTube with an update to the post) but I am afraid the cube shape does not quite fit your for your ball topic.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

7. Anne Carkeet

Anne Carkeet Larval Mass Registered

Thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. The videos and photo album are wonderful to see, but as you said, not quite what we're looking for. I really appreciate it and will be sure to share anything I am able to dig up. Happy Holidays to you and your octopuses.
    Best,
    Anne

DWhatley likes this.