Octopus Pictures

Just some pictures of my octopus doing what an octopus does.

Attachments

• conv_302653.jpg
    conv_302653.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 87
  • conv_302654.jpg
    conv_302654.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 85
  • conv_302655.jpg
    conv_302655.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 84
Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!

And welcome to your octopus - thanks for posting these excellent pics! Hope to see more of these.

If you'd tell me your octo's name, I'd add it to the List of Our Octopuses - when and where you got him and species (if known) would be appreciated.

Nancy

Thanks for the warm welcome. I aquired the octopus on the 20th of June from a LFS; Paradise Cove Pets here in Omaha to be exact. I still haven't named it yet, however, if you need a name to post him to the list, I'll call him Spark. I'm not exactly sure what species he is, however, the shop listed him as a Thaumoctopus mimicus.

milabfocker said:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I aquired the octopus on the 20th of June from a LFS; Paradise Cove Pets here in Omaha to be exact. I still haven't named it yet, however, if you need a name to post him to the list, I'll call him Spark. I'm not exactly sure what species he is, however, the shop listed him as a Thaumoctopus mimicus.

Highly unlikely, given the texture of its skin and vagueness of pigmentation, I've added two pics for reference, showing the two extremes in contrast...

If indeed a tropical species, Abdopus sp. or "White V" come a bit closer in physical appearance. The good news there would be that Abdopus forages in the daytime :smile:

And a big :welcome: from me too!

I would like to thank everyone for the awesome welcome and for your inputs. After looking at some pics on the net, I do agree with ob, my octo is probably a abdopus aculeatus. I tried surfing google to find some detailed info on the species, however, I haven't had much luck. Anyone here ever kept one before or know if they have any unusual care requirements? Right now I am housing Spark in a 12 gallon Aquapod (he's still pretty small; head is about half the size of my thumb) and he seems pretty content. I'll list my tank parameters so you guys can look it over and point out any possible problems.
Temperature-80-82 degrees fahrenheit
SG-1.024
PH-8.0
Nitrates-10PPM
Ammonia, nitrite,and phosphates are undetectable.
I don't have room for a skimmer (not even the Fission Nano) so I am replacing carbon and doing 50% water changes weekly. Everything seems to be going good so far. He's eating great and out during both the night and day. I've had him for a little over a month.

Were you able to octoproof your aquapod? If those are anything like the Nanocube, you have some work to do.

As for the Current Fission skimmer, most people have really mixed results with them. There are a couple of threads on Reef Central on tuning them but its probably not worth the money.

Do you have plans for another tank?

Fini, I haven't made any adjustments to octoproof the Aquapod. I'm sure they are similar to the JBJ Nanocubes, however, I wasn't aware adjustments had to be made. The top is way to heavy for my octopus to lift. What modifications should I be looking at to ensure the setup is octoproof. Also, I already have a Fission Nano Skimmer, however, it doesn't fit in any of the filtration chambers (doesn't make any sense, the skimmer is made by Current USA for nano tanks and doesn't fit in a Current USA nano tank) and lets out micro bubbles which stick and kill off the macroalgae. I've just been running small amounts of carbon and replacing it often to compensate for not having a skimmer. I plan on setting up a 25 gallon with a CPR Backpak for filtration sometime in the near future, however, not sure exactly when. For the time being, my octo seems pretty content. Tintenfisch, your more than welcome to come check out my octo and setup if your ever in town visiting your parents.

You are probably going to need to block off the "sump" portion of the tank and if it has surface skimmer teeth, you will likely need to put some kind of screen material along there to keep your octo from sliding through. If there is a gap internally between the back and front of the tank, you will probably need to block it somehow. Perhaps some creative use of plastic.

As far your octo not being strong enough to lift the lid on your nanotank..I wouldn't count on it. He might be too small now, but in time he's likely going to be plenty strong to lift the lid. You could probably tape the sides down for now just to stay on the safe side.

I've attached an image that might illustrate the weak points that might need a little attention.

Good luck!

Attachments

• conv_289361.jpg
    conv_289361.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 72
Fini, I appreciate you taking the time to point out those potential problem areas on my setup. I will definately take action to ensure these areas aren't accessible from the display portion of the tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back