• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus or not?

marineboy said:
I think you have misunderstood me, i am not going to rush out and buy one, I have been studying them since I was 10 and know that they ae very touchy animals. As for captivity, i have read that they are tough demanding, but rewarding. I just dont want to be mistaken for a noob in the cephalapod area on this site. I am a noob considering captive care for I have never had a sw tank. But am doing furious research.

Thank you!

No, I was just stating that many "people" join here anxiously wanting one without any knowledge. Your not one of them though cuz your actually willing to do research before hand. Sorry if it sounded offensive.

mb--

Also pay attention to brands on some of the equipment. You can spend well over a hundred dollars on a skimmer that's absolutely worthless. Same with overflows, some of the designs are inherently flawed and can lead to floods.

A good thing to do is make a list of brand names of equipment you're thinking about buying, then search the reefcentral.com message boards to find out what people are saying. Their search function rarely works, but google allows you to search one website by specifying the domain name.

Dan

I just read this whole thread. I am the "guy" from the other thread. I have been doing research for the past month or so. Reading every day. I set up the tank, all excited. I bought some Damsels to cycle the tank. Now, I really like fish. Also, after reading this thread, I aslo realized that I am not ready for an Octo. I have the knowledge... I just dont have the first-hand experience needed.

I am going to keep my tank a fish-only w/live rock. I am going to start with easy fish, like Clowns, Royal Gramma's, ect. Then, I will move to more difficult fish, Butterflyfish, Tangs, Large Angels, ect. Once I have the experience of maintaining water quality, keeping up with waterchanges and such, I will try setting up an Octo tank if I still have the interest after keeping all the amazing fish.

So, you see. These guys are great. They helped me a TON, I was determined and mind-set on an Octopus. I read and tought I was ready, and as I said above... I forgot about first hand experience. Knowing how to maintain the water, and keeping it all clean. AFter getting the Damsels, I also realized that I cannot forget one thing. These fish are hardy, so if I forget something they wont die. But eventually, I wont forget anything. It will be part of my day. And when that happens, I will know I am ready for the next challenge. Whether its corals, or an Octo... I know that there will be at least one more thing that I will need to remember.

So I am just saying, maybe you should do what I am doing. Take small steps to harder things. it will get you more experience, plus you will be able to know what to do. As you are keeping the fish, you can read, and read some more. But just be sure that you dont just keep Damsels, or really easy fish. try to evntually keep harder fish, more demanding fish to make sure that you will be able to suit the Octos needs. If you still want one after the fish tank.

Well thats my lecture for today. I hope this helps you.

sorry binary terror for maybe sounding a little offensive to you in that post, that wasnt what I was trying to get at, i was just wondering if that would also work. The process you explained is the course of action Dhyslop also recommened and im beginning it right now. also, I have been working with cephs for 6 years, just thought that you seemed rushing it a little but now i see that you have been doing your homework :smile:

sorry if I offened you,

Mike

I did take it too personally. I still am really looking into getting an Octopus. Maybe, I will get sick of fish and want something more interesting. My tank is pretty much done cycling. All I need is for it to mature.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back