• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

octopus not doing well?? why??

808tako

Hatchling
Registered
Hi, Im Eric Lum from hawaii. Is it possible that anemonie can sting the octopus? can this be fatal is some cases? im having trouble figuring out why my octopus isnt responding to anything the past two days. After reading a forum i thought about the hermit crab i had introduced to my 25gal tank the day my octopus started acting up? the hermit crab has 5 anemonies on it shell and is sitting right next to the ocotpus. can this be the problem? my temp is pretty high compared to usual also. its 82 right now usually at 80. the octopus is from the wild as i caught it about 1 week ago. im really confused and need some answers for i want to help it before its to late... thankyou!

You don't give us much to go on to guess the problem.
- Have you examined your water parameters? Even the smallest amounts of ammonia can be devistating but high nitrates are also a problem. Since introduction of something new seemed to start the problem, I recommend a large water change and consider removing the new additions.
- Do you know the species?
- What kind of filtration are you using?
- What size is the octopus (mantle and arm length)? 25 gallons is way too small for almost all octos unless it is a dwarf.
- What is the temperature range of the water where it was collected?
- What kind of anemones? Some can burn the skin and allow infection, large ones can trap a small octo and eat it but that is unlikely if there are several on the hermits.

Anemones can sting octopus, what seems mild to us can create an adverse reaction in an octopus. I've seen blisters and lesions occur to octopus from what to us is a completely harmless anemone. I'd get rid of them. AND check the list D has provided!!!!

I think Jean forgets that we don't have an open system like the one she is used to and that ANYTHING that goes into a home tank should NEVER be released back into the ocean. It is not something that seems like common sense on first thought but the instances of devistating losses in the Keys from bacteria (Sponges, Queen conch and long spined urchins) even animals collected illegally and seized are not returned to their homes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back