• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus night lighting?

abdopus147

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi, I am currently keeping a nocturnal octopus and have had trouble finding it in the dark. It's wild so light freaks it out, I read an article mentioning that fish can not see the color red and I started researching. I was wondering do octopus see red, and what is a recommended aquarium night light for a 55 gallon octopus tank? Thank you.

I use red lighting with all my nocturnals and crepuscular octopuses. I have experimented with various red lights and have not found one superior to the other. In one case, I used high temp mylar (like that used to temporarily fix broken tail lights) to create a red light environment. For the nocturnals, I leave the red light on 24/7. This way the darkest it ever gets is with the light on and they have all adjusted quite well.

There is a sticky at the top of the Tank Talk forum with some sources and suggestions

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back