• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Octopus micropyrus

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
One of my goals for the past couple of years has been to get one or more species of pygmy octopus into culture. That almost certainly means a large-egged species. So far, we have only had success rearing O. mercatoris. After a lot of searching, I finally got my first O. micropyrus - a small female. I don't know what the chances are that she will be carrying sperm, so if anyone comes up with a male, I would be interested in mating them and splitting the offspring.

Roy

Some of our members like to look in tidepools and along the shore in along the southern California coast, so its possible they might find one. Also, various unidentified dwarfs have been showing up at LFSs.

Could you post a photo? I was looking at the description in Cephalopods:A World Guide. It mentions a "dark red-brown color,white false eyespots and fingers of skin it can raise over its body". For those looking, it can be found within the base of kelp, in gastropod shells and also in crevices on rocky reefs.

It's quite small, body only 3 cm long (a little over an inch).

Also, have a look at the Octo ID forum - we have some still yet unidentified octopuses there. One might turn up there.

Nancy

Nancy,

Mine looks like the photo in Norman's book - no red or white. It is so secretive that the only way to get a look at it is to stress it. So far, it doesn't even show itself at night. This may not be a good candidate for culture, but if a male shows up it may be worth a try.

Roy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back