[Featured]: Octopus living in groups and more stuff

Hi Folks
exciting stuff with the NY Times article. about our unique octopus site .
from a post i put up on tonmo a number of years ago , significant things have happened, in a good way .

without tonmo i probally never would have made the inital contact with PGS and then david Scheel , and Stefan ... so well done. to this forum and the moderator.
i have really enjoyed working with people from a totally different background , . it has been a great learning exeperence .

i still love visiting octopolus . as i never know what will happen or how the occys will behave . and as ive said in previous posts their moods can change . for no aparent reason .

i thought id scare some recent pics from a dive i did at Nelson bay. we came across a blue lined octopus that seemed quite excited , i managed to get a few pics , but all the time i was shooting him i had to back peddle , as the plucky little guy was swiming straight for me . at one stage he even landed on the lense of my camera . very interstering . while this was going on i was a bit distracted .
you can understand my suprise when i turned away from the occy to seem my dive buddy swiming up to the occy , glove removed , and was just about to try and touch and play with the blue lined octopus !!!

i very quickly gave signals of danger , dont touch , ect and when we got out from our dive , i explained to her the potential danger of blue lined octopus .

anyway alls well that ends well.
Regards
Matt

Attachments

• pipeline 01 low res.jpg
    pipeline 01 low res.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 151
I am glad your dive buddy understood your signals before he reached the octopus. Your helicopter trip to the decompression chamber was enough diving excitement for me to read for a lifetime! More pictures coming?

without tonmo i probally never would have made the inital contact with PGS and then david Scheel , and Stefan ... so well done. to this forum and the moderator.
Congrats on the awesome coverage -- and thank you for acknowledging the community, and for being a part of it! :thumbsup:

As Matt says, all the science at the Octopolis site came initially out of Matt's TONMO posts. Crissy Huffard (mucktopus on TONMO) told me about Matt's posts and I got in touch with him. Then David Scheel saw an article about it, over in Alaska, and he contacted me. Now Stefan Linquist is on the team also.

in the last pic , the occy is still coming at me , after lifting off the sand and becoming free swiming again. i have pics of him stuck to my camera , but all are out of focus , due to the somewhat close nature of the subject.

when at first found the little guy , he was swiming mid water , coloured up and quite excited

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back