[Featured]: Octopus living in groups and more stuff

very cool to read these observations, and I can't wait until my connection allows me to see the video. I've seen octopuses in groups in mating situations. If they come of the dens you might be able to sex them (the males tend to keep the mating arm- third arm on right) curled closer to the body than the others, especially protecting the tip. Excellent photos! It's possible that the bigger octo is eating the baby sharks.

thanks for the positive reply's all

well we went out again today 2 dives and it was great .

the main big guy is getting friendler and more curiuous , he was trying to take my camera ! and another occy of to the side was hanging onto the srobe trying to pull that in anothet direction. great stuff.

i got video of suckers all over the camera lense !!!

later on the big occy came right out of his hole , started toughing me and sucking on , then he came out of his hole attached himself to my dive buddy , it was a crack up , sooooo funny

now when he sees me he just comes out to play , on th second dive for today he was right over my hand and really pulling , i even got a little test nip from him , but i pulled away , a bit freaky for me

awesome day ,, awesome experience , im just smiling from today's experience

photos and video to follow

Matty

This great! I am smiling irrepressibly too from your review. Waiting impatiently on the video!

I keep thinking the attraction to cameras and masks has something to do with light reflection. It is not every mask or every camera or piece of glass they seem to react to which makes me wonder if polarized light (something we don't see) comes into play. With my brooding female, the plastic magnifyer I try to use to see into the den will get her upset but only sometimes when I move it around. I leave it directly in front of her all day and it does not seem to bother her just sitting on the glass, only when I pick it up and try to focus with it does she sometimes react.

Are the baby sharks still constantly present?

I can't see the third arm to the right (clockwise) to see if he is keeping it curled but it does look like the big guy may have enlarged suckers on his more forward arms (another indication of male). It ocurred to me to mention something that I read in Cousteau's Soft Intelligence about the light bar. They did not have electric lights for underwater when they started filiming with octos and used some kind of tourch. The octos would try to play with the fire and had no concept of something able to burn them so you may want to be sure your lights are not hot to the touch.

we went out again today

the big occy seemed almst standofish ,
kinda like he made a fool out of him self yesterday and was a bit imbarised .

anyway , here is one of the pics from yesterday

and yes the occy is holding on to my buddys hand , not the other way around. :smile:

4123829388_eb113798eb_o.jpg

more photos on my flickr site here

cliffbutt100

Matty

It is exciting for me to hear you report what appear to be similar behaviors I have observed in the aquarium with another species (O.hummelincki) that also seems to easily interact with humans. I have reported that once they start interacting and coming to be "petted" they seem to forget the whole sequence and return to being shy for as much as a week. After the new shy period, they return to the interactive behavior and never go back to the shy stage. It makes me think there is something unusual about the way their memory functions.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back