Octopus living in groups and more stuff

jugglematt

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the positive feedback guys ,

im really starting to feel affection for this big cheeky guy , really hope the fishermen keep away

and one more

and another video
http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab122/jugglematt/?action=view&current=DSCN0751.flv

hope to go out again tomorow and see if he is feeling more freindly .
i was thinking of taking some shiny presents , like a stanless steel nut and see how it goes ,,

im very luck to live quite close to the dive site , and even though i need to use my boat to get access its still fairly easy to duck out after work

regards Matty

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Too much fun, it is a wonder you didn't get a mouth full of saltwater (I suspect you did get a quantity in your mask as it is hard to keep a seal while laughing).

Haggs brought Situ Two several different toys (start at post 29) to see what she would do with them and you might look at his list for ideas. One of the reasons we came up with trying a selection of things is that she would always carry something under her webbing when she would go to Haggs. The idea was to see if she would trade objects.

This species seem particularly addictive. Pam (Haggs' wife) labeled Situ Two, "the other woman" because of the amount of time he spent with her.

If I am close on my guestimates, I would say your big guy is at least twice the size of Situ Two. I am wondering if he is, #1 male and #2 the only male in the group. I have never hear of harem behavior in octopuses but your scallop patch group may suggest this if there is only one male.

jugglematt

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
we went out again yesterday afternoon

the big occy was fairly shy this time and stayed in his hole and only just poked his arms out a bit , but the other smaller occys ( we counted 9 others ) were more bold , climbing onto my and my buddys hands , at one time my buddy had one occy on one hand and another occy on the other hand , he also got a little nip , i think the occy was just testing .

tried giving a number of items with little success,
table spoon with handle cut off ( played with and discarded)
stainless steel tube , ( no intrest )
brass clip 1inch in size w ith orange cord attached ( now this is better , wanted to keep it really liked it and i was flat out getting it back ) it was attached to my camera

my buddys were smiling , they had a ball

Regards
Matty

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
In the aquariums they all seem to want to keep the feeding stick so you might try taking a very thin stick (like a bamboo skewer) to see if it interests them. Ours also like a zip tie we have attached to a floating clear cube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elleyyyy

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards