Octopus Lifespan

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by superwaterguy52, Oct 9, 2006.

1. superwaterguy52

superwaterguy52 Blue Ring Registered

I'm new here and I have been considering getting an octopus. What I need to know is how long is Octopus bimaculoides(the two spotted octopus) lifespan? Books I've read say that the lifespan of an octopus is up to 3 years, but here it says that they live anywhere from 6 to 18 months, so whats the truth?

2. marinebio_guy

marinebio_guy Vampyroteuthis Registered

An average life span is between 18-24 months although they can live to about 3 years and they can die in less than a year. Basicly it depends on several factors. 1, the temp they are kept at, they will grow faster at warmer temps and also die sooner. 2, Females die about a month after laying eggs so depending if she has mated determines when she will die.

3. Armstrong

Armstrong Vampyroteuthis Registered

The truth is...it depends on species. Giant Pacific Octopuses are the ones usually living up to 3 years, not other species. Other types generally live up to just a year to a year and half as mentioned...18-24 months.

In captivity, octopuses usually live a bit shorter, but again depends on living conditions. It can also depend on how much is fed to the octopus and what is fed on a daily basis. Their just an all around short lived animal.

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! :welcome:

If you look at the List of Our Octopuses (top of Journals and Photos forum), you can see how long people have been able to keep bimacs (O. bimaculoides) and other species. I would hope for 10 months - this puts the lifespan at a year or more if the octopus is 2 or 3 months old when you buy it.

Nancy